Monday, June 02, 2008

some days i can see the future...some days you seem so far

Today was a great day. It didn't storm on me, which was a relief considering the weather forecast. I went to Des Moines to work on my book; after a late lunch at Panera (turkey sandwich and french onion soup), I spent the afternoon in my usual spot at the Borders cafe, and successfully wrote 2500 words (~10pgs). Malcolm and Amelia had a huge fight, which is the 'black moment' of the book in which they seem to be on the verge of giving up and losing each other. This being a romance, they will resolve their issues, but the fight scene went surprisingly well. Whether it's any good is another story, but I was happy with the attempt.

After writing, I met up with Aunt Becky and the scandalous fiance for Chinese food. The scandalous fiance was having a bad day (he woke up to a bat in his house, had some issues with some customer support reps, and then was forced to have dinner with me!), but we enjoyed ourselves nonetheless. Then Aunt B and I went to the mall and browsed for awhile, coming away emptyhanded, but it was nice to hang out. On the way home, I talked to both Vidya and Laura; it's going to suck to leave here since it's been nice to be close to my family, but it will also be good to be close to my friends. Too bad Iowa and California aren't closer to each other!

Now I'm listening to Gavin Rossdale's new solo album -- it came out today, so I promptly downloaded it. I'm on track two ("Frontline"), but so far so good; it's not as hard-edged as Institute (his one-album band in 2005) was, with more of a focus on guitars and less of a focus on screaming, so that's good. His lyrics are undoubtedly still ridiculous, but that's one of my favorite things about him (that, and his voice, and his intense music videos). Since it looks like Bush will never get back together, I'll have to console myself with solo albums, but hopefully the wait between this one and the next one won't be quite so long. Perhaps I'll give more of a review after I've listened to the whole thing; or perhaps I'll keep my opinions to myself, since v. few of you appreciate Gavin as much as I do. You're missing out!

No comments: