Wednesday, June 04, 2008

this was an historic election - a black man and a woman running against the captain of the mayflower

The title is a quote from one of Craig's guests tonight -- leaving my own personal political opinions aside, I thought it was hilarious.

I woke up with incredibly good intentions, but those intentions met a brutal and violent death at the hands (or rather, remote controls) of my Wii. I played some Wii Fit when I woke up -- I must say that I love the yoga, and can apparently fake my balance at yoga well enough to score 'Yoga Enthusiast' or 'Yoga Master' on several of the poses, even though my scores on the other balance games are nothing to be particularly proud of. But I do practice deep breathing in my normal, non-Wii life (when I remember to stop being furious about something long enough to breathe, which needs to happen more often), so maybe that helps.

To be honest, I didn't do much the rest of the day. I hemmed and hawed about whether to go to Des Moines after playing Wii, and ultimately decided against it because I spent too long debating and there was a chance (later substantiated, judging by the tornadoes ongoing between here and Des Moines tonight) of severe weather. But rather than actually working on my book, I surfed the net, and then played Wii some more.

Sadly, I discovered that Wii's Super Mario Galaxy can make me v. motion sick; I played for 45 minutes, and then had to lie down for 45 minutes to recover my stomach. Boo. The game seems like a lot of fun, so I may just have to take Dramamine before I play it in the future. A little later, my sister and her two younger kids dropped by; Zane and Allie discovered that I'd just bought a Wii, and they seemed to have great fun bowling, boxing, and playing tennis. I've barely seen them in the time that I've been home, but the incentive of a Wii was enough for them to decide that they need to come over again as soon as possible.

After they left, we had an awesome supper -- ribeye sandwiches, and in case the ribeye wasn't enough (since they're sliced v. thin to go on a sandwich, and so aren't as ridiculously huge as ribeye steaks), my dad grilled some equally amazing pork. Ribeye, pork, potatoes, and peaches for dessert -- it doesn't get any better than that. There was nothing to watch on television (well, on CBS anyway, we didn't check the other channels) because our meteorologist spent the entire primetime viewing period following the line of tornadoes going across the state, so my parents and I had a brief but vigorous debate about immigration. Then I played some more Wii, and now it's time for bed.

If I don't post tomorrow saying that I worked on my novel, somebody please slap me! Or pry the Wii controller from my grip.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

when you get back on MV, we must have a wii tennis tournament...-z