Wednesday, July 30, 2008

and liberty she pirouette when i think that i am free

I'm freaking exhausted, which I guess should be expected considering that moving is never a fun experience, and I'm under the gun to get unpacked before my Olympics party next week. However, I sometimes amaze even myself with my foresight. Among the fifty boxes of crap was one labeled 'Olympic Cakes', and it contained everything I would need for the basic cake production -- mixer, mixing bowls, measuring cups and spoons, bundt pans, can opener, wine opener (more necessary for making party than for making cake), oven mitts, spatulas, etc. Happily I've unpacked my entire kitchen, so I'm making good progress, but finding the Olympics box made me laugh.

So my kitchen is unpacked, although there is still some stuff strewn about the counters. I also have most of my closet unpacked, although there is one more suitcase in storage, as well as a bag full of stuff that I need to take to the dry cleaner's. I've unpacked the books that I've been using to research my book, but the rest of the boxes of books (all ~15 of them) are in the closet or sitting on my couch. In fact, books are the only real bulk remaining to be organized, and I face a problem because I don't have anywhere to put shelves. Once Vidya's fully moved out, I can put up shelves in half the closet and use them for books, but I'll have to procure new shelves since the ones I had won't fit. But if nothing else, the boxes can sit in the closet for a couple of weeks until I get around to buying shelves, and I'll just have to force myself to do it so that they don't sit there for months on end.

Despite the constant unpacking, today was a pretty great day. I woke up early of my own volition, did some unpacking, then walked to the nearest Starbucks to pick up some much-needed caffeine. I kept unpacking until Vidya arrived, with the much-discussed second Vidya in tow, as well as their friend Cathy, whom I may have offended when I was merely polite to her before saying to second Vidya, 'I've heard so much about you!' Oops. Chandlord was here to pick up some of the stuff she still had here, as well as take care of her Chandlord duties and replace some lightbulbs. I went with her and the other girls to find the proper lightbulbs, and then we had a v. late lunch at Nick's Crispy Tacos.

Vidya asked me if I remembered Nick's Tacos, and I just stared at her blankly; I was sure I would remember those amazing tacos if I'd had them before. Then she said 'I pulled your shirt down here', and it all flooded back to me -- at night, Nick's Tacos turns into Club Rouge, where I went for a night o' fun in the evil city right before I went to India oh so many years ago. And yes, she did pull my shirt down there, much to my chagrin since I wasn't wearing a bra. That was also the infamous night of the Three Wisemen (Jim Beam, Jack Daniels, and Jose Cuervo) that Adit bought for me, which insured a) that I was miserable later that night and the next morning, and b) that I can't really drink whisky anymore. The night ended abruptly when Adit attempted to escape through the window behind the bar, which got us kicked out, which is probably what saved me from alcohol poisoning. Ah, the memories.

Anyway, the taco place is amazingly delicious, even if it does become a den of iniquity later. There are v. few taco places that have chandeliers, disco balls, and fancy lounge areas, so this is a definite plus. And hanging out with the Indians was fun. So all in all, it was a good afternoon, and I'm really looking forward to discovering more stuff in the neighborhood as I get settled in.

Now, though, I have to go to bed. The Romance Writers of America conference starts tomorrow morning, and I need to get up and actually wash and dry my hair (shocking), put on nice clothes, and walk the ten or twelve blocks down to the conference site. I guess I should get used to it, since I'm starting back to work in FIVE DAYS. BOOOOOO. Goodnight!

No comments: