Tuesday, July 01, 2008

I spent the night in Utah in a cave up in the hills

Actually, I am at the Wendover Nugget. I got upsold on a 'nicer' room
for only $55, which was half of what I paid to stay at a Comfort Inn
in Cheyenne...roadside motel prices have increased substantially in
the past few years. And I doubt that this hotel will result in me
passing up free breakfast because a fellow boarder is complaining
loudly about the rat he saw in his bedroom the night before...the
Cheyenne Comfort Inn is no longer on my list of recommended I-80
stopovers. Then again, the Nugget has a few flaws...there was a pile
of dirty towels outside my room's door when I arrived, there is
minimal lighting (likely to encourage you to seek out the lights of
the a slot machines), and the 'closet' is two hangers in the 2.5ft of
space underneath the TV. I expect to swoon at the upcoming luxury of
the Huntington Beach Hyatt, even if I also swoon at the price tag.

Anyway, today was lovely; I like driving through Wyoming, and I had a
great time with John and Holly. We had a lovely dinner at a little
Italian place in Salt Lake City, and it was awesome to catch up with
them and find out what they've been up to since getting back from
India. After seeing them, I wanted to make it a little farther
tonight, but had to stop in Wendover. Now I should go to sleep...I
want to get up at 6:30 and be on the road by 7:15. And if you believe
that one, I'll tell you another...

No comments: