Wednesday, July 23, 2008

nobody makes me bleed my own blood!

I am usually fairly sympathetic to staff in training. But I don't feel the same level of sympathy when the person who appears to be in training is getting ready to draw blood from my veins. I had a doctor's appointment this morning, and the doctor wanted to do some routine bloodwork since I hadn't been in for a checkup since before I went to India. So she sent me down the hall to the nurse who could draw my blood. Except apparently she couldn't really draw my blood; she ended up calling in the head nurse to consult. Turns out neither of them could find the veins in my arms, and so they ended up drawing blood out of the vein on the top of my right hand. Ugh. The upside was that they made that decision before they just rooted around in my arm with a needle hoping to stumble upon the vein (I had that happen once, and it wasn't pleasant). The downside was that since they have to use a smaller needle to go in through the top of the hand, it took longer. But the nurses were very nice and chatted with me to keep my mind off the needle in my hand, so all was good. And I got an extremely glittery silver bandaid and a lollipop at the end, so all was well.

It's a little incredible how nice the doctor's facilities are, considering this is the *free* doctor at my place of employment. When I went in to get my immunizations and malaria pills before India, she was working out of a storage closet; now, there's an actual suite of exam rooms, a waiting room, and the ability for them to draw blood rather than having us go to an outside clinic. Since that's where I'm going to start doing my allergy shots, this is all v. good.

Also, since when did I start talking like an old woman, going on and on about my health? Next I should tell you about the weather (it was lovely today), what I ate (a sandwich at one of the work cafes for lunch, leftover Chinese for dinner), and who I saw (Adit), before getting back to something like the state of my colon (confidential) or the latest news about my grandchildren (nonexistent).

Anyway, after the doctor, Adit met me at work for a nice lunch at my favorite cafe. I still had some of the stuff that he left with me after Chris's wedding, since he and Priyanka boarded a plane for Greece (while still drunk from the wedding, since they had to leave the hotel at 6am and I'm pretty sure I saw them at 2am when I was still drinking) and he just got back to the bay area. So we had a delicious lunch, and my hip-factor was no doubt heightened by his nicely tailored shirt and the fact that he left his mirrored aviators on during the entire meal. It's sad but true that I will never be that stylish, although my Bulgaris are pretty great.

After Adit went to work, I went to Coupa Cafe in downtown Palo Alto and worked on the research for my novel for a few hours. I had an incredible chai tea (with 'tiger spice') there, which made up for the less-than-stellar experience that I had at Tea Time a couple of days ago. I also got quite a bit of research done while discussing Regency-era costumes online with Oniel, who is nice enough to feign interest in some of my obsessions. Then I came back to Berkeley, ate leftover Chinese, took care of some stuff online, and am now ready to call it a night!

No comments: