Sunday, August 10, 2008

dazed, confused, and on fire!

Man, I absolutely adore the Olympics. Surprisingly, though, I didn't start watching until 8pm today. When I woke up, hungover, all I could think about was facilitating my recovery. I ended up meeting up with Adit and Katrina for a late brunch; by the time we actually got a table and started eating, it was 2pm. But the eggs and potatoes were just what I needed, and I felt much better afterward. After brunch, Adit and I spent a few hours working at a cafe; this was the first time I tried to write in over a month, and I'm eager to get back into the swing of things with the book. I started editing the first chapter, and I think it went pretty well. If nothing else, I feel a little bit more back into the story, and I'm hoping to get that momentum going so that I can have something more polished by mid-September. A complete second draft would be a great birthday present to myself!

After Adit and I parted ways, I came home and tackled the aftermath of the party. Cleanup was surprisingly easy; in my drunken state pre-club last night, I managed to refrigerate everything that needed refrigerated, so there was nothing truly disgusting waiting for me. I was surprised to see that we went through a whole bottle of rum, and I'm guessing we would have made it through more vodka if people had looked in the freezer to see the bottles that I had used to mix up cosmopolitans. Actually, it's a good thing they didn't, since I'm the one who would have ended up drinking it, and last night I reached the upper limit of what I can feasibly drink if I want to not vomit at some point in the next twenty-four hours. But my kitchen is nice and clean again, my living room is back in order, and other than laundry I won't have to do any other chores while the Olympics are in motion.

Tammy got stuck in traffic and was late arriving, so while I waited for her, I watched last night's Opening Ceremonies again. TiVo is a magical device during the Olympics. I got to watch the whole artistic component of the opening ceremonies, sans commercials, while recording tonight's stuff so that we could start watching it when Tammy arrived. I must say that the opening ceremonies were really incredibly impressive, and I'm glad I watched them again when I could see the whole thing and not play hostess. Tammy showed up just as the parade of nations started, which was perfect timing, so we started to watch tonight's prime time coverage. Adit also came over at the same time and did some more work while Tammy and I ran our own color commentary on swimming, gymnastics, and other events. It was awesome! And the awesomeness is going to continue for a couple of weeks! But now I should really go to bed -- Tammy and I are going to hang out tomorrow, and then I need to pack so that I can get on a red-eye flight to Ann Arbor. Goodnight!

No comments: