Thursday, August 07, 2008

gimme gimme gimme a man after midnight

The critical advantage of a longer commute is that I have time to rock out to a full album -- which, for the past couple of days, has been the soundtrack to the 'Mamma Mia' movie. It's no wonder I'm single.

Today was great. I got my new laptop, and it's insanely small. It's also the laptop of the future; rather than having to type in my corporate password whenever I boot up/come back from screensaver, I can just scan my fingerprint! Now that I've told you this, please don't attempt to break into my company's computer system by killing me, chopping off my finger, and using it to access my computer -- you can't get to the internal stuff with the fingerprint, so all you would get is some photos and some ABBA songs.

I came home with a mission -- to get through a couple of Olympics Rings Cakes (tm) and start getting the apartment shaped up for the party I'm having on Friday. I was v. successful; I baked three cakes, cleaned the bathroom, and stacked up the boxes that I need to recycle tomorrow morning. The only snag I ran into was that I didn't get enough red food coloring; it's nearly impossible to make a white frosting look red instead of pink when you're using food coloring, and I didn't buy enough food coloring to even get close to respectable. So I'll have to make a stop to get some more tomorrow. Yes, it's silly that my self-imposed rules about these cakes include the stipulation that the colors be relatively pure; the outsides don't always look like that anyway, because I make three frosted cakes and two glazed cakes, which means the glazed ones don't look as colorful on the outside as the frosted ones do. But the Olympics only come every couple of years, and I'm determined to honor them properly!

I also had a v. exciting IM exchange with Jesse, who was my co-RA in Mirlo oh-so-many years ago. I haven't seen him in years, which is mostly my fault since any time we've tried to get together I've ended up moving to another country or not following up on the plans. But he's in town again for a few weeks, and we made plans to have dinner the week after I get back from Ann Arbor. So that should be fun; unfortunately he's out of town this weekend, or else he could see Tammy, Shedletsky, and Terry (who all lived in the dorm that year), but he'll just have to make do with me.

Now, though, it's really time for bed. Chandlord will be happy to know that, due to bitter experience with the first Olympic Rings Cakes (tm), I am v. careful to wipe up any batter/frosting spills as soon as they happen, since food coloring stains counters like nobody's business. But considering that she's leaving for Boston and has cut me from the program, maybe she's not interested :( Goodnight!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sara, Get Watkins food coloring paste in red (no taste) to get the color you want. Those measly drops do nothing for white frosting. You apply the paste with a toothpick - very concentrated color. Good luck!