Wednesday, August 06, 2008

if you change your mind, i'm the first in line

Day Two at work was slightly more productive than Day One, even if I had to leave early; the snazzy new laptop that I ordered yesterday arrived this afternoon, and so I had to leave the old one with the tech people so that they could transfer my files tonight. Since I am even more useless without a laptop at work, there was no point in staying. Instead, I ran a couple of errands and had dinner with Can at Naomi Sushi. Can was even more crazed than usual because he was having issues with a project and probably should have skipped dinner to fix it, but it was great to catch up with him. After dinner, I stopped at the amazingly-beautiful new Safeway in Menlo Park that replaced the hideous, decrepit Safeway that I remember from my college years, and I stocked up on the rest of the stuff I needed to start the Olympic cake baking process. Feeling satisfied with my progress, I drove back to the evil city, arriving around 10:30pm.

The highlight/lowlight of the day, though, was saying goodbye to Chandlord. She and Katrina met in my building for a quick cup of coffee and a facilitated drop-off of various things that Vidya and I needed to give to each other. Katrina had to go early to do some usability stuff (jk - she gets horribly offended by usability, since "usability" is to "what she does" as "paint by numbers" is to "Picasso"), and then Vidya and I hung out for a few more minutes. This was our final parting before cutting each other from the program, and it was actually quite sad to watch her drive away. Of course, we'll be in touch when I give her all my money every month, but it's not the same. I'm going to print a photo of her to hang in the apartment so that I can feel near to her. Also, at her behest, I'm starting a new label regarding her apartment. I told her that this could be a liability for me since she'll have documentary evidence with which to sue me if I blog "I got drunk and defecated on the carpet". But I'm just going to have to trust that I won't ever do something that disgusting, and go with the new label anyway.

So Chandlord is not much longer for these parts. I will take solace in the fact that the Olympics are in three days!!! That means I have five cakes to bake over the next two nights, but it's no hill for a climber. Just as long as I don't burn my arm again like I did the last time I baked a substantial quantity of goods, I'll be quite pleased. Now, though, it's time for bed!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i cannot be replaced by the olympics!

Sara said...

that's what you think, chandlord!