Sunday, August 17, 2008

not as dramatic as dong dong

What an amazing day! I adore the Olympics regardless of what is going on, but the last hour of primetime coverage tonight was nearly perfect. Tammy and I watched almost the entire thing live; we skipped some of the middle of the women's marathon to watch a bit of stuff that we'd Tivo'd from the afternoon, but the two women's swimming races (women's 50m individual, women's 4x100m medley relay), the men's 4x100m medley relay, and the men's 100m dash were all incredibly exciting. If my neighbors weren't watching the Olympics, they must have known that we were, since the end of the men's 4x100 (and Michael Phelps' last race) had us jumping up and down and shrieking hysterically, while the men's 100m dash just left us stunned by how fast the winner was.

I know it sounds absurd, but there was something just so awesome about watching history happen, even if I was watching it on the floor of an apartment half a world away (and three hours after it actually happened, thanks to NBC's ridiculous tape-delay-for-west-coast policy). Michael Phelps deserved all the hype, even if his teammates (Piersol, Hansen, and especially Lezak) probably deserved a bit more than they go. And Dana Torres is amazing, as is the guy who won the 100m dash.

This of course followed a full day of Olympics for us. We woke up around eleven and had brunch with Adit -- the place had the best French toast I have ever had in my entire life, and brunch was v. entertaining. Sadly Adit had to work and couldn't watch Olympics with us, but we persevered without him. I spent the whole afternoon watching various sports, like badminton, rowing, and trampoline (featuring the Chinese male trampoline gymnast Dong Dong, who was the subject of many bad jhokes). Tammy and I took a break at 6:30 to grab some Thai food down the street, and got back just in time to start watching tonight's coverage. Now we're 'warming down'; we watched a Tivo'd episode of "Dinner:Impossible" (in which a chef creates a meal for a large group in absurdly bad conditions), and are now watching latenight coverage.

Sadly, Tammy leaves tomorrow :( That means I'll have to watch track and field all by my lonesome next week. But we're saying goodbye in style -- we're meeting Shedletsky and Joanna at the Hong Kong Flower Lounge, and after watching Mary Carillo's color commentary story a couple of nights ago about the ridiculous things that you can eat in China, I'm really looking forward to some great dim sum. Then it's back to the Olympics, with perhaps a brief break to clean up my apartment, before I have to sleep so that I can go to work on Monday. Yay! Now it's time for late-night hurdles; more tomorrow!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

lol... wt are some bad jokes of 'dong dong' ?