Monday, August 25, 2008

olympic-sized void in my heart

I would like to claim that today was a grey and somber day, but that would be melodramatic and inaccurate even for me. In fact, the sun was amazingly out early this morning, unlike the usual morning fog, so I woke up a little after six a.m. I didn't get to work any earlier as a result of that, since I sat around in my apartment and caught up on email here instead, but it was quite the change of pace from my usual 'hit snooze four times' routine.

Work was pretty uneventful, although I spent the entire day in meetings. I can't tell you why I have so many meetings; it's just a fact of life. It's just sad that I came back to work with the goal of limiting my meetings wherever possible, and I'm already facing days where all available time has been taking by random meetings. Granted, I am a little better than I was -- I blocked my calendar after five p.m. every day so that I have the option of catching the 5:30 shuttle, and I'm starting to block off some work time during the week. But I guess meetings are the price you pay for climbing the corporate ladder, and obviously a day of sitting in meetings is preferable to a day of digging trenches.

After work, I ran a couple of errands, and then met up with Terry for dinner at California Pizza Kitchen in Palo Alto. I hadn't caught up with her in awhile, nor had I had my favorite roasted garlic chicken pizza in several months, so this effectively killed two birds with one stone. It was good to see her, and we have tentative plans to hang out on Saturday and focus on writing (romance novel in my case, grad school applications in her case...we'll see which is the better idea in the long run :) On the way home, which took less than 45 minutes because traffic was perfect, I talked to my brother, who made me insanely jealous by mentioning that he's going to visit Katie this weekend. I tried to retaliate by claiming that I slept with his best friend, but he wasn't buying it.

When I got home, there was a lot of exciting stuff waiting in the mailbox, including a package from my mom (thanks Mom!) and two envelopes full of photos that I had ordered from the Kodak gallery last week. The photos are great -- I ordered a whole bunch of 4x6s of my trip to Europe that I want to hang above my desk as inspiration for my romance novel, and I also ordered nine 8x10s that I want to frame and place artistically on the wall above my bed. The 8x10s turned out perfectly, so the next task is to find some appropriate frames. I also need to figure out how to hang the bulletin board that I bought without destroying Chandlord's wall; luckily she left some paint that matches her walls, but ideally it wouldn't come to that.

Even thought it's not quite ten p.m., I'm quite tired, so I think I'll get ready for bed. I'm hopeful that tomorrow evening I can get back to the book; I'm taking the shuttle tomorrow, which should help me to power through all of my work work so that I can focus on writing when I get home. For now, though, goodnight!

No comments: