Sunday, September 21, 2008

the only thing that waits is overconfidence

I accomplished quite a bit today; I woke up at eight a.m., laid in bed in disbelief until nine, and then got around to doing things like cleaning up my kitchen, taking out the trash, showering, etc. I met Adit at a cafe at noon, and stayed there until five p.m. While I'm glad that I'm going back to work tomorrow if only because I have a $700 ergonomic chair there, rather than a narrow, hard wooden coffee-shop chair, I was quite productive at the cafe. I'm about 3/4s of the way through the line edits for my manuscript. I feel pretty good about what I have, particularly when I have moments of being surprised/pleased to realize that I actually wrote the stuff that I'm now rereading. So this week I hope to finish the line edits and make the changes on the computer, and then next weekend I'll start with the handful of new/revised scenes that I intend to add/change based on the feedback I've gotten so far.

When I got home, I talked to my parents, then laid on my couch for an hour as the sun set behind me. I was having one of those moments where life suddenly weighs a bit heavier, helped along by the fact that it's been noticeably colder, the sun is setting earlier, and I always tend to get a little bit depressed in the dark slog between my birthday and Christmas. But I picked myself up in time to walk down the street to meet Adit, Oniel, and Oniel's gf Kathryn for sushi, and they (and a generous quantity of eel) helped pick me up the rest of the way. The sushi was delicious, and it's apparently Kathryn's favorite sushi place in the neighborhood -- she goes there so often that the staff gives her free food (in this case, salmon cheeks, which were strange to see).

We had an entertaining dinner, and then Adit came back to my place because he remembered that I have a standing Tivo order for '60 Minutes', and tonight was the Obama/McCain episode. However, when we got here, I turned on my tv for the first time in two weeks and discovered that something's wrong with my cable -- all shows recorded since September 12, and all current live tv offerings, are strangely garbled, like they're not being decoded properly. This is super annoying; clearly not the end of the world, since I haven't watched television in weeks, but I was counting on starting to Tivo the new episodes of the season, so I need to get this fixed. At least it didn't happen during the Olympics, or I would have been super upset!

instead of '60 Minutes', Adit and I played nine holes of Wii Golf before he left about twenty minutes ago. I have work that I need to do for my job, but I'm going to try the doomed-to-fail strategy of 'getting up early' so that I can go into the office early and work there. We'll see how that goes, but I'm in no mood to assess my own performance right now, which is on the top of my to-do list, so going to bed is the only other option. Goodnight!

No comments: