Wednesday, September 24, 2008

when she's sitting to my right, you're out of sight and i lose control

I am dangerously regressing at work. I think part of it is honestly that I've had several partial weeks in a row, between Labor Day, my birthday, the smashing headache I had last week that destroyed Thursday, and the all-day training I had yesterday; since my weeks are usually full of meetings anyway, the loss of a day means that all those meetings have to be squeezed in someplace, often at the expense of real work time. I'm looking forward to having a few more 'normal' weeks (although I'm sure that, by Thanksgiving, I'll be ready for another long weekend).

However, while I've done a good job of not actively volunteering for things, keeping my head down, etc., I can still be tempted by bright, shiny projects, and I got one today that will likely take some significant effort over the next two months. The good (and I suppose bad) thing is that it has a tight, nonnegotiable deadline -- which makes it difficult now, but less likely to drag out over the long term. I'm just going to have to offload some of my other work stuff and redouble my energies on the book -- I also want to start looking for agents by the end of October, so I have to balance my work with my book, and it's going to be tricky at best.

Despite all that (or perhaps because of the bright shininess of my new project, even though I know that it will turn into a frustrating cat-herding exercise), I'm in a good mood; work was good, even if I was twenty minutes late to my eight a.m. meeting due to ridiculous traffic. When I got home, I made some danged quesadillas, procrastinated a little bit, then caught up on emails. There's only two days left of the work week, and I'm committed to not working weekends, so I'll have to get productive tomorrow so that I don't have anything pressing left over.

And on that incredibly boring rundown that should serve as a warning of a potential relapse, I'm going to bed!

No comments: