Thursday, October 23, 2008

boom boom dollar

I was pretty stressed out after work today -- too many days in a row full of meetings, too many little annoyances exploding into bigger issues, too many nights of hanging out with coworkers and not getting home until bedtime. I ended up going to downtown Palo Alto to spend a couple of hours a) buying nail polish and b) working while drinking a tiger spice chai at Coupa Cafe. Paying $3 for an eight-ounce cup of milk is silly, but sitting in the office would have been sillier. I spent the whole time at the cafe plowing through my piles of unread emails, but I was remarkably efficient, and decided that I wouldn't do any more work when I got home. I also got some great nail polishes -- I had to replace the deep purple color that I loved because the bottle exploded at some point on the drive from Iowa to California this summer, so I have a new bottle of 'Lincoln Park at Midnight,' which makes me happy.

When I got home, I ate some frozen enchiladas (although I ruined the first batch because I was so annoyed about something else that I forgot to turn down the power setting and I ended up scorching them), and then painted my fingernails and toenails while watching tv. Two things are shocking about this: I haven't painted my fingernails in months, and I haven't watched tv in at least three weeks. But it was exactly what the doctor ordered -- I can't spend all my time working + writing or I'll go crazy. So now my toenails are a nice shimmery fuschia and my fingernails are glimmering silver, and I feel more relaxed than I've felt in awhile.

What I watched was two tivo'd episodes of 'The Mentalist,' one of the new shows on CBS. Some blog said this about 'The Mentalist": "In a recent issue of Entertainment Weekly, THE MENTALIST creator Bruno Heller proudly proclaimed that he’d “much rather please 10 old ladies in Iowa than one hipster in New York.”" Since I self-identify more closely with old Iowans than with NY hipsters, it's no wonder that I really liked the show. Simon Baker is awesome, and by 'awesome' I mean 'lust-worthy' -- he was the 'other guy' in 'The Devil Wears Prada,' and the main reason why I thought the chick in that movie should keep pursuing the glamorous life so that she could get with him rather than going back to her schlubby boyfriend. Some of the cast is still a little wooden, but it gave me two great hours of relaxation, so I can go to bed happier.

And go to bed I must -- I want to get to work early so that I can do the things I should have done tonight before my meetings start tomorrow. Goodnight!

3 comments:

f...... said...

I am thrilled to join the ranks of "10 old ladies in Iowa." Here I am, walking out of the shadows of CBS streaming video - Simon Baker was also very endearing as the white man landscape architect love interest of Sanaa Lathan in Something New.

I thought I might not enjoy the storyline since the not-psychic psychic plot has been fantastically used by the USA series "Psych." My hat to Bruno Heller. "The Mentalist" is quite nice.

Unknown said...

so proud (okay embarrassed) to be able to recognize this DDR song title. :P btw, hi! i try to read your blog as often as possible, which is not so much given that i am paying mucho dinero to be tortured these days. that said, just wanted to say hello and tell you i miss you!

Sara said...

@felicia: yay. Since the other eight 'old ladies' probably also include my parents and my brother, I wonder if we could narrow down who the remaining five people are?

@jen: love that you recognized boom boom dollar. I miss you too -- I'll write a real email sometime soon!