Saturday, October 11, 2008

but you're just my toy and i can't stop playing with you baby

I woke up with a major stomachache, reminiscent of the worst of my stress-filled days around a year ago at this time, and knowing that I didn't want to sit in meetings all day with my stomach feeling like it was trying to claw its way out of my abdomen was enough to convince me to call in sick. I showered just like I would have if I was going to work and did a bit of work on my couch, but I ended up napping most of the morning. I felt sufficiently better in the afternoon to drive down to Stanford for some prearranged plans (more in a second), but my stomach hurts again now, so hopefully it will clear up this weekend.

This is my five-year class reunion weekend, which is hard to believe. Allie and I had planned a dorm reunion for the kids who lived in Loro my senior year, and since I was the one who sent out the invites, there was no way I was going to miss it. I went down early to beat traffic and to pick up my registration for tomorrow night's class party, and to keep my dinner plans with Terry. We didn't really end up eating dinner, since I wasn't feeling particularly hungry, but we split a sandwich at Cafe Borrone in Menlo Park while we caught up on life, so that was nice. We browsed through the bookstore next door afterwards, and I finally picked up a copy of the 2009 directory of literary agents, so I can narrow down the list of agents that I want to query about my book. Yay.

I'm sad that there wasn't better turnout for the Loro reunion; there are more people in the area than those who showed up, but they didn't show. However, the people who did show were entertaining, even if I see most of them fairly regularly. The people I don't see regularly were great to catch up with -- Felicia is in from Boston for the weekend, and she stopped by for a bit, which was great. Allie was in fine form as well, and since she's actually in my class, I'll likely see her again at the party tomorrow night. And Amanda came -- I haven't seen her in ages, but she's back in the area to start Stanford med school, and so we caught up on everything, including her engagement to the guy whom Allie set her up with many years ago. I also ran into Jesse separately; he was my co-RA in Mirlo the year before, and we spent a few great minutes discussing our plans to evacuate California and our hope that if everything melts down, it will either do it now or wait six months, since it's hard to get through the mountains in the winter.

I'm not actually that excited about my reunion tomorrow; I really don't have many friends in my own class, since most of my friends were either sophomores in my freshman dorm, or were my residents in later years. But, provided my stomach is better, I'll still go. That means I should go to bed now so that I can maximize the feeling-better possibilities. Goodnight!

No comments: