Wednesday, October 15, 2008

return to innocence

For the past couple of days, I've been playing my entire ipod library on shuffle mode while in my car or working at my desk. This leads to some v. strange combinations -- such as the string I listened to while driving through the city tonight, which involved Counting Crows, a v. fast-paced techno song from Walter's happy hardcore mix, and Enigma's 'Return to Innocence.' As you can tell, this strategy is also serving to remind me, through an example-based framework that makes the feedback difficult to ignore, that I have terrible taste in music. Sigh.

I made it to the shuttle this morning on time, and spent much of the bus ride staring out the window while listening to my terrible music. My day was rather meeting-packed, and I decided to leave early to work on my romance novel. I spent about an hour on it, and it was going well, but then my dinner plans were thwarted because Terry is getting sick and couldn't make it. I consoled myself by going shopping -- totally unnecessary, but I more wanted to browse than anything else, and I got a couple of sweaters on sale. The Stanford Shopping Center was emptier than I think I've ever seen it -- but it's more likely the debate than the economy that affected it tonight, since most of their stores cater to a crowd that will likely weather any economic fallout.

I intended to work on the novel some more tonight, but by the time I got home, put away my purchases, and ate supper, it felt a little late to get started again. Instead I'm going to go to bed early, get up and go to work early so that I can get done early, and then start focusing on the book again in earnest. My personal deadline for starting to look for an agent was the first week of November, which is only two weeks away, so I really need to be making fast progress towards the final final draft. Goodnight!

No comments: