Saturday, November 15, 2008

if hate were people, i'd be china

I have a hangover at one a.m. That should be illegal. Luckily for my liver, Irish Matt is only in town once every few months, which means that when he is here, it sort of feels like alcoholic Christmas.

I woke up this morning around seven, got up and showered, and then spent the morning making a database of possible agents and researching their submission preferences so that I could figure out who to submit to. That all went very well, and I think I know which agents I want to target first. Then, I caught a bus to the San Francisco Ferry Building to meet up with Matt for lunch.

The Ferry Building is pretty cool; I've never been there before, but I'll have to go back. While ferries still operate out of the slips behind the building, the main concourses in the building have been turned into a gourmand's dream -- all sorts of specialty food stops (this is the first time I've ever seen a shop or kiosk that only sells mushrooms), as well as multiple restaurants and places to buy meals to go. They also have a farmers' market a couple of times a week, which wasn't going on today, but would likely be fun to go to, so I'll have to check it out sometime.

That sometime won't be tomorrow if I still feel this way, particularly since I need to get some book stuff done before I go to a baby shower in the afternoon. Matt and I had a great time; we met at 1:30, and hung out over wine and cocktails until after six. Having four glasses of wine and a cosmopolitan was not smart of me, given that I only had a granola bar for breakfast and my lunch consisted of a salad. But it was a *gorgeous* day -- almost eighty degrees, and we were sitting on an outdoor patio, and I rarely see Matt, so I have no regrets.

When I got home, I passed out for an hour or so. I wanted to go out and meet up with Adit and Katrina, but I was still pretty intoxicated at nine, and realized that if I went out I would be tempted to drink more, which would be a v. bad thing. So I stayed in, ate some enchiladas and then some potato leek soup in an effort to kickstart my recovery, and watched "City Slickers" and several episodes of "The Cosby Show". Now, though, I should probably go to bed so that I can continue the recovery in the morning before being a grown-up and participating in a baby shower. Goodnight!

No comments: