Saturday, November 01, 2008

it was a graveyard smash

I just got home from pretending to be my age for a change -- Lauren (aka Subz) and Nathan (who I actually knew several years before Lauren) had a dinner party in honor of Halloween, and since Terry is also friends with Lauren, we went together. I'm really glad this came together; when left to my own devices, I just work on the book, but it's nice to have plans and remember that I'm a social creature once in awhile. I recycled my costume from last year and went as Toucan Sam -- this was great, since I needed to feel like I was using my bird-feet slippers and my yellow tights and my handcrafted Toucan Sam mask more than once.

I had a fabulous time -- while Terry, Lauren and Nathan were the only ones I knew well, I also ran into Ken (who was one of the first/only participants of the infamous 'Stanford Dating?' show, which means I know his mannerisms *far* too well from studying hours of video footage of him for months on end, even though we've barely spoken to each other in the last seven years), as well as some friends of Lauren's who are actually connected to the guy who was the factotum (fancy word for RA/TA) for TASP when I went to that summer camp in high school. We had a fun time hanging out, making pizzas, and trying to remember that they guy whose name tag said 'Joe' (he was Joe the Plumber) was actually named Ryan. All in all, it was a nice evening, punctuated by far more wine than I usually drink, which made the twenty-minute search for a cab frustrating and will give me an awful headache tomorrow.

Now, though, I should go to bed -- I have tentative lunch plans with Oniel, and then I need to spend the rest of the weekend working on the book. Goodnight!

2 comments:

Alan said...

I recommend The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman.

Sara said...

@alan - I forgot that was coming out! Thanks for the reminder!