Sunday, November 09, 2008

leave me dreaming on the bed, i'll see you right back here tomorrow for the next round

The good (great, excellent, fantastic, amazing) news is that I just finished the final draft of my novel. It's not the final final -- I still need to print it and do a last read-through for spelling/grammar/word choice -- but all the scenes that are meant to be there are there, and I think the continuity and general storyline is fixed up and spiffy. It turns out that when I woke up this morning I actually liked what I wrote yesterday, now that I'm out from under Adit's "helpful" comments about the likelihood that I'll ever finish my book, and things progressed well from there.

The bad (but not bad enough to ruin my euphoria) news is that I spent the entire day working on it, and by entire day I mean from before ten a.m. until about fifteen minutes ago (a little after nine p.m.), with a fifteen minute break for lunch, a twenty minute break for dinner, a compulsory Sunday hour-long conversation with my parents, and fifteen minutes to run to Starbucks. So I guess that's only technically nine hours of work -- but writing is rather exhausting, at least for me, particularly since I wrote twelve brand-new pages today (about 2500 words) and edited/rewrote many other paragraphs. And nine hours of work on a Sunday is always a little exhausting, particularly since I have to be at work for a seven a.m. meeting tomorrow and then I have to slog through the day trying to do all the things that I probably should have done this weekend.

But none of that matters -- the final draft is done! I'm taking Friday off so that I can use next weekend to finish the proofreading and start drafting query letters to agents. Remind me to chill my mini-bottle of pink champagne this week so that when I finish the final final final next weekend, I can toast myself. I wouldn't have to toast myself alone, but I'm running low on friends because I've been a hermit (or, as Katrina said yesterday, I've been 'stonewalling') in an effort to keep my real job and finish my book. So apologies to the people who have tried to get in touch with me (particularly Terry, who wanted to hang out, and Chandlord, who left a message I haven't listened to yet, and Ritu/Katie/Felicia, all of whom I owe phone calls/emails). Someday soon I'll get back into the social groove, but right now I really must go to bed!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

i was mentioned...but no tag?

Anonymous said...

I've scoped out your shelf space at Borders and B&N. Awaiting your debut Ms. Ramsey.

For your next novel how about a Civil War romance set on the campus of Lenox College (Which Google and Which Wiki)? Lenox basically closed in the 1860's while all the boys were away at war and then reopened. It closed for good in the 1940'a but is generally intact today. It is a bit haunting to walk across the campus. You could probably make your trip there a tax deductible business expense; especially the air fare from SF to an airport near the Lenox campus.

-- A local denizen became mesmerized, nay enthralled, with a name on the Civil War soldiers' monument. She dreamed of the long gone soldier boy, what it was like for him and his class mates as they suited up for war, how the girls - young women - agonized as the boys - men - marched away in fresh new blue uniforms. In her dreams he became her lover . . .
and they exchanged letters as he marched to Georgia. --

Sara said...

@anonymous1 - is this Vids or Adit?

@anonymous2 - intriguing idea and Lenox College sounds cool, but sadly, Civil War romances aren't selling at all, and I'm in it to win it :(

Anonymous said...

CONGRATULATIONS SARA!!!!

i will be the first (round of) purchaser(s).

hugs,
ritu

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.