Friday, November 21, 2008

lying in my bed i hear the clock tick and think of you

Today was generally good -- I worked out of San Francisco today, which was quite lovely. I had to be at the office at eight a.m., which was a little less painful when I could take the bus/walk rather than sit in traffic cursing the idiots around me. My performance review for Q3 was at eight a.m., and it went well. I did have a moment, though -- my director said that there was very little constructive (i.e. negative) feedback for me, and that I should take this as an opportunity to coach my team so that they write better peer reviews in the future. I almost retorted that maybe they didn't write a lot of constructive feedback because there wasn't a lot of constructive feedback to give me, but I decided to bite my tongue. A few minutes later she said one of my biggest strengths is that I'm so straightforward and 'authentic' in my communication -- while it's true, and I don't lie to people, I do sometimes lie by omission by refraining from expressing exactly how annoyed I am about some of the stupider things I see around me. But, that's probably made me easier to work with in general, so I suppose that's a good thing.

I spent almost the entire day in meetings; because we have a lot of videoconferencing equipment, I was still obliged to do my job even though I wasn't in my home office. I did take a break to have lunch with Katrina, who was working out of the city today as well, so it was nice to have some non-meeting-related human contact. I would have left the office right at 4:30, at the end of my last meeting -- but I started to switch out of my heels and into my sneakers, only to discover that I'd somehow lost a shoe. I went to the previous room and saw it sitting under the chair I had sat in, but two of my colleagues were meeting in the room. I waited for ten minutes, since the sign on the door suggested that they would be done imminently, but I finally had to interrupt them to tell them that I'd left my shoe in the conference room. That's a rather weird thing to announce, but they were v. nice about it and we spent a couple of minutes catching up while I retrieved my sneaker, so all's well that ends well, as they used to say in "Little House on the Prairie."

On the way home, I made a quick stop at the Gap to exchange a shirt that I bought last weekend (the first version had a hole in it), and also did some browsing at Sephora and Macy's but didn't buy anything. When I got home, I made a list of things I want to accomplish this weekend, and am dismayed by how long it is -- so I spent the evening taking care of general household tasks so that I can spend some quality time with my manuscript tomorrow before going to Terry's for dinner. And then the end of the weekend will come all too soon..and the deadline for my contest entry is in a week and a half. That means I need to go to bed RIGHT NOW -- goodnight!

No comments: