Monday, December 29, 2008

if you don't, well honey then you don't

I have v. little of interest to report today. I woke up late, messed around on the internet, showered, and then ate lunch -- it was my second-to-last day to have Andersen Erickson french onion dip, so I made the most of it. My grandmother showed up for a bit in the afternoon, sadly asking me the exact same questions she asks me every time she sees me ("when are you leaving? are you coming home for Aunt Becky's wedding? have you found a publisher for your book? how much time do you spend at work? etc., etc."). I realize, given my lack of patience with such things even though I feel horrible about it afterwards, that I am likely karmically condemning myself to future senility, but I had trouble remembering that in the moment.

However, I rebounded and spent the rest of the afternoon packing up my clothes and my Christmas gifts for Wednesday's flight back to California. Then, Katie would be happy to know that my mother made ham and bean soup for supper -- Katie has the mistaken impression that ham and bean soup is the only thing we eat, but we only have it the couple of times per year that my mother bakes a ham for a large family gathering, since the soup requires the leftover ham bone to make it delicious. And it was delicious -- for all of us except my brother, who hates the stuff and so chose to eat leftover chicken and noodles.

The only real thing of interest was that I signed up for a creative writing class at Stanford for winter quarter. The class is very craft-heavy; it apparently involves reading the works of great writers and then attempting to emulate and learn through their style in the writing assignments. It's only six weeks, but it's unfortunately on Saturday mornings, adding to my weekly commute. However, I get entrance to the library for the quarter, and so I think I'll likely go to the class in the mornings, and then spend the afternoon reading and researching the Regency period in the Stanford library during the afternoons. Yay.

Okay, definitely time for bed -- there's a lot I need to accomplish tomorrow if I'm going to be ready to leave on Wednesday! Not that I will be ready to leave, but I at least need to make sure that all my stuff makes it to California with me. Goodnight!

No comments: