Tuesday, December 30, 2008

martyr, trader, thief

The title references the psychological profiles of the three people to whom my brother offered his breaded mushrooms at dinner tonight -- my mother refused entirely even though she loves breaded mushrooms, I traded him a cheese ball, and my father distracted him so that he could steal one off his plate. I think this is indicative of much more than just our mushroom acquisition methods!

Today was a v. good, v. lazy day; I spent most of the afternoon on the couch bellyaching to my mom about having to go back to work. I also did some last-minute packing, including the quart-sized jar of homemade sweet pickles that I'm hoping will not break in my checked luggage tomorrow. I successfully polished off the remnants of a container of Andersen Erickson french onion dip, and I'm looking forward to returning to the land of spinach tomorrow if only to save my arteries. Then, the four of us went out for dinner, where the breaded mushroom episode happened.

I would brood a bit about the differences between Iowa and California, but I already did that while talking to my dad about our various world travels and how strange and surreal it is to leave Iowa and end up somewhere completely different. Instead, I should really go to bed -- I sadly have to wake up at 3:15am so that I can leave the house by 4:15am to make it to Kansas City in time for my 9:50am flight. It really shouldn't take five and a half hours to get there and get on board the flight, but my brother has to run some errands on the way since he's leaving from Kansas City to go to Nashville for a wedding, so 4:15am it is. But since 3:15am is like 1:15am on the west coast, the likelihood that I'll make it to the new year is slim indeed. We shall see what happens -- but now it's time for bed!

1 comment:

~Wamp said...

You left out the part where my flight doesn't leave till noon and I could leave here much later in the morning and still run all my errands if it weren't for you! Curses!