Friday, January 16, 2009

i'm no superman

Today was an excellent day. I worked out of the San Francisco office; while I actually had to work all day because I had meetings basically straight from 9am to 3:30pm and lots of email to send and to-dos to do, working out of SF is so much easier for me. I woke up at 7:15, took a shower, actually blow-dried my hair, and still managed to get on a bus and into the office by 8:30. To make it to the Mountain View office by 8:30, I would have to leave my apartment around 7:15. And today was gorgeous -- while I spent most of it in a windowless interior conference room on a succession of videoconferences, I did manage to leave by 4:30.

Instead of fighting traffic home for an hour and a half, I took a stroll down the waterfront of the Embarcadero and stopped in at the Ferry Building. I walked past the restaurant where Irish Matt and I had a five-hour booze-filled "lunch" a couple of months ago, and just seeing it gave me a hangover. Then I went to Sur la Table and bought a v. small tea strainer that will finally fit into the teapots that my mother and Heather gave me, which is exciting. I topped it off with a scoop of gelato from Ciao Bella -- the flavor was masala chai chocolate, and the hint of spice in the chocolate was perfect. I ate it standing on the back patio watching the ferries come in and musing over how lovely the day was. Then I caught a bus home, where I relaxed, ate English muffin pizzas (one with feta and olives, one with mozzarella and so much fresh garlic that I'll likely reek for days), and ended up boycotting all work by watching two episodes of 'Scrubs' and four episodes of '30 Rock'. Brainstorming Ferguson and Madeleine's story starts in earnest tomorrow, but I needed a break tonight.

I don't have major plans for the weekend, but I'm v. excited that it's three days long. I guess I'm making dinner for some people on Sunday -- I woke up to a calendar invitation from Adit, inviting himself, John, Jess, and Katrina to my place for dinner on Sunday, and the description said 'wamper make us dinner'. The fact that he purposefully misspelled my name while inviting people over to my house was icing on the cake. But despite the weirdness of the event, it should be fun -- I just need to figure out what to make. Luckily my house is pretty much as clean as it gets, so I'll just have to buy some groceries and throw something together.

Even though it's still early and I'm wasting my youth, it's time for bed -- I need to start writing book #2, if only to take my mind off the agony of waiting for replies to my attempts to sell book #1, and I'm not going to get started as soon as I want if I spend tomorrow sitting around. Goodnight!

No comments: