Wednesday, January 28, 2009

saw cinderella in a party dress -- she was looking for her nightgown

This is definitely a four-minute post. I want to stay up and keep writing, but I have an eight a.m. meeting that I can't be late for, so I should really go to bed. I didn't work on the romance novel tonight -- instead, I worked on a part of the assignment for my creative writing class. Before we can write our story, we're supposed to write an analysis of what we read, highlighting three components of the author's style. I wrote almost four pages, which may have been a bit of overkill, but I haven't done any sort of literary analysis in a long time and got a little carried away.

I had a flash of inspiration on the way to work today and think I know where the story is going to go, but I don't want to jinx it yet. If it turns out to be any good, I'll post it on the romance blog. But I'm v. relieved to have an idea, even if I haven't started it yet and it's due on Saturday. For once, my road rage and my commute did something good for me -- the flash of inspiration came when I saw someone with a UC Berkeley license plate holder, briefly considered side-swiping them (I would never do it, and perhaps that's too much of an insight into my dark core), and then realized that it was a possible kernel of an idea for a story regarding people's judgments of each other based on superficialities. The story will have nothing to do with driving, Berkeley, or anything else I saw on my commute -- but it was an interesting jumping-off point, and the brainstorming made my commute more pleasant.

Four minutes are up, it's bedtime!

No comments: