Thursday, January 08, 2009

waiting for some beautiful boy to save you from your old ways

Today was pretty freaking brutal. My 7am meeting was supposed to last an hour, but someone in the meeting insisted that the goal that we were discussing, which would have been reasonable for a 1-2wk time period, needed to be accomplished within 24 hours. Since the meeting was with India, meeting again in that time period would have meant meeting at 7pm tonight -- and I flatly refused, claiming other plans, since I'm not willing to have meetings from 7am to 8pm with a one-hour commute on either side. So instead, we extended the morning meeting to 9am, which eliminated my only break in the day. Bleh. Then I had another 2.5 hours of fun with a completely unrelated group task, which will continue tomorrow. But, I did have a couple of good one-on-one meetings with people whom I adore, so I managed to make it to the end of the day.

I left the office at 5:30, got home by 6:30, ate dinner, and worked until a little after eight. Then, I started to read one of my new books on the French revolution -- THE FRENCH REVOLUTION: A VERY SHORT INTRODUCTION. And it is short, but quite well-written; in an hour, I made it through 60 of ~100 pages. It's a good orientation to the subject, and I've flagged copious quotes and facts that I intend to put into my research database at a later date. I'm looking forward to the other two books on the revolution -- but I suppose I should spend some time this weekend reworking my query letter and mailing some out. I've been avoiding it because I don't like the bitter taste of rejection, but if I never send out another query letter, my dream is effectively dead, and then there would be no point in researching the next book. So, query this weekend, then start researching/plotting/brainstorming/writing in the weeks to come!

Only one more work day, and the first week of 2009 will come to a close. If I want to sell my book in 2009, I only have fifty-one weeks left, so I better get on it. Goodnight!

2 comments:

~Wamp said...

Methinks you should have taken my books on the French revolution off my shelf while you were home, I seriously doubt I'll ever read them again. Who am I kidding? I barely read them when I was assigned them for class, why would I read them now that I have the history minor?! I could throw them in the mail if you like... You probably have it but I've got Burke's "Reflections on the Revolution in France" which I would think would be high on your reading list.

Anonymous said...

I've been following this blog, and as an independent young woman you really rock. You've got a lot going for yourself. PATIENCE is a virtue, everyday you should be thinking about your daily gratitudes. You're way ahead of most 27 year olds. As a 47 year female I'm you've inspired me to finish that novel, and query agents.