Tuesday, January 20, 2009

you watch the sky, it's a pale parade of passing clouds that cover the bed upon which we laid in the dark

Today was surprisingly good, considering that I had meetings basically straight from 7:30am to 5:30pm, followed immediately by our monthly margaritas and pie event (with a special guest appearance by our director) from 5:30 to 7:30pm. I skipped my allergy shots this morning because I wanted to get my desk set up from last week's move. As I said to Pete when he walked in for our 1:1, it looked like a dollar store had exploded all over my office. To fit in with our company's culture, it's imperative that you have as much random and useless decorative crap as possible -- and over the course of the past five years, I have accumulated a great collection of stupid stuff.

This came back to bite me -- at margaritas and pie, we were talking about movies, and I quite seriously agreed with our director that I'm not a huge fan of Leonardo DiCaprio. At that most inopportune moment, Pete called me out, mentioning that I have a picture of Leonardo DiCaprio on my desk. Snap! He was right -- I found the stationery I bought for 27 rupees in India that featured a young Leo's face both faded into the whole sheet and captured in a smaller color photo in the lower right-hand corner, and I put the stationery up with some of the other cards and paper mementos. But I apparently turned four shades of red when Pete brought this up, contrary to my usual impossible-to-embarrass facade.

Now, though, I should really go to bed -- I have an 8:30am tomorrow and I'd like to get there a bit earlier than that to finish unpacking, and then I have meetings all day, followed by dinner with my boss tomorrow night. Bleh. Corporate whoredom is putting a cramp in my writing lifestyle, but it pays the bills. Goodnight!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

you moved again?!?! did you move just after I left Goog? I forget how quickly they move...
~z