Wednesday, February 11, 2009

sometimes i get nervous when i see an open door

This is a four-minute post. Work wasn't bad; I slogged from 8:30 until 6 before driving back to the evil city and sitting down to work on my book. However, I decided not to write tonight. Instead, I resubscribed to Publishers Marketplace (an industry site that offers tons of information about the deals agents are making, in addition to general news and gossip about the publishing world -- for the exorbitant price of $20/month, which is why I'm not subscribed all the time -- although now that I think of it, I pay for my Netflix subscription and barely watch movies anymore, so maybe I should cancel that and keep Publishers Marketplace instead?). I did some research, targeted some agents, and sent out four more queries tonight.

I have much less faith that any of these agents will be interested in my work -- the agents I targeted in this round are some of the top sellers in the romance genre, and so they're unlikely to be especially eager to take on an unpublished writer. However, I decided that I should at least try them. E-queries are free, except for the blood spilled from my fragile heart upon getting rejected, and if I succeed with one of them, they have the potential to have a bigger impact on my career than an agent who may not have quite so many killer instincts when it comes to selling my book.

So, we'll see what happens. But, I didn't intend to spend three full hours at this task, and now it's time for bed. I have an eight a.m. meeting tomorrow, blah, followed by a day of slogging, followed by dinner at Terry's place -- and in an uncharacteristic failing on my part, I volunteered to take dessert and then didn't have time to bake, so I'm going to have to procure some tasty treats tomorrow instead. I'll keep you posted on the agents -- but my four minutes are up, so it's bedtime!

No comments: