Friday, February 20, 2009

take a number where the blood just barely dried

I'm definitely ready for bed -- I had to use concealer under my eyes this morning because the dark shadows that I forgot that I am capable of have made a swift and unwanted return. I had been so good about getting eight or nine hours of sleep every night, but the last couple of weeks have been a failure on that front, and it's catching up to me.

I have class tomorrow morning, and today tried to plot against me -- I had meetings from 9am-1pm, then a nice break from 1pm-4pm in which I got a lot done, and then a meeting at 4pm that was supposed to only last half an hour and instead lasted ninety minutes. That meant that I didn't get out of the office until six p.m.; by the time I made it into my apartment at 7:15, I was sure that I would not be able to write anything at all. This was particularly true since I spent my whole commute playing around with an idea I have for an epic young adult series (yes, I want to be both Nora Roberts AND J.K. Rowling -- visions of sugarplums and multiple homes dance in my head). I wrote down my ideas as soon as I got home, and it was not exactly conducive to coming up with a "literary" endeavor for class.

But, I fortified myself with a peanut butter and jelly sandwich, camped out on my loveseat with a notebook -- and was pleasantly surprised to have a story burst forth onto the page in less than an hour. It took another 45 minutes or so to edit it, type it, print it, and type out a half-assed analysis of the author's style, and then I was done. It helped that the author (Lydia Davis) is so experimental that many of her stories are two lines long; it really helped me to feel that I couldn't possibly mess it up. I'm pretty happy with what I did, since it has some extended metaphors that I think work quite well, but I can't post it here since it's a little too personal. Sorry, kids, but I've gotten burned by zee blogs before, and there's no need to post anything that might cause someone pain, right?

I'm going to go to bed right now (after I take out my contacts, wash my face, and brush my teeth, of course) -- class is at nine a.m. tomorrow, and then I have errands to run before getting down to business with Madeleine and Ferguson. That sounds dirtier than I mean it to, particularly since they aren't going to sleep together for another eighty pages or so. Tee hee hee. Goodnight!

No comments: