Sunday, March 01, 2009

are you waking up holding, holding your breath

I have restored balance to my universe. This magical restoration (and the ceasefire that my spasming thumb muscle declared as a result) came from a mixture of personal effort and fortuitous happenstance. My own actions played the largest role -- I slept in, then spent the afternoon getting caught up on work stuff while hanging out with Adit, thus prepping for the week and recharging my social batteries at the same time.

The fortuitous happenstance was an email from an agent -- she requested the full manuscript!! I'm v. excited...this particular agent is the one I think I'm most eager to work with, and since her query process involved sending her the first ten pages and a synopsis, she must have really liked what she read if she decided to ask for the whole thing rather than the standard partial. So, I'm printing the whole thing now, and intend to skip out of work at 5pm tomorrow so that I can make it to the post office in time to send it off. Then it's back to the waiting game -- but since this is the first time someone has requested the whole thing, I'm pretty psyched.

As alluded to earlier, the rest of the day was nice too. It rained most of the morning, but it was only drizzling when I walked over to Leland Tea Company to meet up with Adit and Anton. When I got there, I was essentially the only customer, although business picked up substantially in the five hours that I was there. They were clearly training a new server, who also clearly has no interest in or aptitude for customer service, given that he forgot our tea (it's a tea place, man), then brought the tea but forgot the cups, and when I asked for cups, he brought cream instead. Good luck, kid.

Adit was entertaining as usual, offering to prepay $100 on the spot if I promised to name my first kid T-Rex. I politely declined, although I did consider it longer than normal people would. And, despite the distractions posed as Adit would mutter things like "Wamp...Wamp...Wamp" or "Swampnugget" under his breath, I got a lot done for work. This week may almost be manageable as a result, which is good; I would like to stay caught up so that I don't have a mad scramble on Friday before I leave for Hawaii.

I spent the rest of the night talking to my parents, washing some sheets, prepping the manuscript submission for the agent, and eating the leftover chicken schwarma sandwich from last night. I realized why I liked it -- it's a wrap, not a real sandwich, which makes it like a burrito, but it's a burrito with different spices and potatoes instead of rice. There's a reason why Taco John's, a popular Midwest knockoff of Taco Bell, serves things like the "meat and potato burrito" -- we like potatoes. In fact, I just looked at Taco John's menu, and they don't have a single rice-based dish on the menu. So it's little wonder that I appreciated the potato in my chicken schwarma, since it strangely made me feel at home despite the fact that it's definitely not a Midwestern delicacy.

Okay, I should probably get ready for bed; if I don't get some sleep tonight, I will set myself up for failure this week despite my best intentions. Goodnight!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hooray! Super great news!

We shall toast it with mai tais!