Tuesday, March 31, 2009

champagne supernova

Today was totally ridiculously awesome. In the string of days I've had in the past week, this was the first one that was great without a significant level of badness. It can't rival the awesomeness of finding out about finaling for the Golden Heart (only six days ago, omg, it feels like a lifetime), but there was nothing to despair about either.

It probably helped that I worked out of the San Francisco office today, and so was a bit removed from the shroud of despair that fell over the office after the layoffs last week. Not that there weren't layoffs in SF too, but I didn't run into anyone whom I knew of who had been laid off, and my team wasn't there, so I didn't get any Q&A or tears or anything else super sad. I want to be there for my team, obviously, but for my own mental health, today was a good break from that.

I worked out of SF because I had that photo shoot this afternoon to get a headshot for the Golden Heart press release. The photographer was good, but also crazy; it's a good thing I've watched more than the necessary amount of "America's Next Top Model", because I knew what she wanted when she kept saying, "Smile with your eyes...work it...flirt with the camera...I know you have attitude in you...right there...don't lose it!" It was fantastic. We did it all outside, in front of a variety of walls, sometimes leaning, sometimes crouching, and once walking towards her to get some "movement." She took 230 shots, and she narrowed it down tonight to sixty, which I have to narrow down to two by the end of the weekend. Yay.

I spent some quality time with Katrina this afternoon, since she was also in SF, and I also got a bit of real work done. Then, I scurried home, dropped off my bag full of tricks (aka makeup and high heels), and met up with Chris for dinner. It was v. entertaining -- we spent a lot of time talking about zombies, which are my favorite thing, as well as the possibility of combining a walrus and a horse, which I thought was good. After dinner, we had coffee at a cafe I had been to once before -- the cafe on Fillmore that I went to several months ago, only to be driven away that time by a couple of old guys talking v. passionately about unions. And after tonight, the verdict is that I'm never going back there again. The barista spent ten minutes talking to us about "Twilight" and live-action role-play games (she recently moved here, and seemed to want to make friends). We extricated ourselves, sat down and talked for awhile -- and then a homeless dude wandered in and threw up on the floor beside us before sitting down with his two big cans of beer, before proposing to the barista as she kicked him out of the cafe. Awesome.

So, it was quite the night. Now, though, I should really go to bed -- theoretically I should go to work early to keep trying in vain to get caught up on email, but we'll see if I can summon up the energy/drive to get there before nine. Goodnight!

3 comments:

f...... said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
f...... said...

...create your own wind
...relax your mouth
...tension!
...find the light
...make it fierce, baby!

I'm sure your ANTM insight means your photos are super fab.

Anonymous said...

i hope you heard mr. jay's lilting voice in your head during the shoot!