Friday, March 13, 2009

my guess is yes you can, like can i kick it? wicked

Today was even lazier than previous days, if that is even possible. In what was likely a saving grace for my skin, the skies were overcast all day, with brief spurts of rain, and so I didn't get to spend any time working on my melanomas. Luckily, I had anticipated this downturn, and so I had a reservation to get a manicure and a pedicure at a spa on the south side of the island. It was quite blissful, and now my feet are soft and my toenails are a lovely shade of purple, while my hands have been temporarily rescued from the ravages of my laptop.

After I got back to the hotel, I talked to my dad, had a late afternoon sandwich at the poolside bar, and then inadvertently took a nap for two hours. Then, I read a book; while I intended to write today, I didn't quite summon the energy. I realized around 9:30 that I was getting hungry, and so I went out for a quick dinner at the sushi place that Katie and I found earlier in the week. They have karaoke and stay open really late on Thursdays and Fridays, so I was able to get great sushi in the middle of a raucous crowd -- and at half price, too, which was great.

The only fly in my ointment (other than the fact that tomorrow's my last day here) is that there is apparently some damage to my rental car, and I'm stewing over whether I caused it or whether it was there and I just didn't see it when I did the walkaround. I never would have seen it, but I had to use valet parking at the spa, and when I got the tag back, I noticed that they had circled that there was a dent on the front fender. Sure enough, when I looked tonight, there was a dent -- but it's so low to the ground that when I walked around the car at the rental lot, with the bumper flush to the parking barrier, I wouldn't have seen it. So now my dilemma is a) mention it outright to the attendant when I return it so that I can hash out any argument (and likely pay for it even if I didn't do it) in person, or b) ignore it and hope that they don't notice it either. I'm 98% sure I didn't do it, although I did make one u-turn in which I scraped the bumper across the ground, but this looks like I would have had to have hit a large-sized rock in order to indent the bumper rather than uniformly scrape it, and I'm pretty sure that didn't happen. Ugh. Any smart ideas for handling rental car issues?

I shall try not to let that bother me on my last day, however -- and here's hoping that there will be some lovely sunshine tomorrow. Goodnight!

No comments: