Monday, April 27, 2009

if you leave tonight, keep running -- you need never look back again

Today was a v. long, v. productive day. I woke up a little before six a.m. and successfully registered for editor and agent appointments at the RWA National Convention -- with the award that I'm up for, I was in the first group of people to sign up for appointments, which is a far cry from last year. This year, I got my first choice for both editor and agent; last year, I didn't get any at all, because I was in the last group of eligibility and happened to be on a plane back from my European adventure when signups opened.

This should probably go on zee romance blog (which I did manage to write in tonight), but I shall put it here instead. I was thinking about it today, and reminding myself again how incredibly fortunate I am to have made so much progress with the book over the last year. It was about a year ago at this time that I started getting serious with the book; while I started my leave of absence in February, it really took me until April to decompress enough that I could write regularly. And in the space of a year, I've finished the book, started another, learned a ton about the publishing industry, and found myself unexpectedly up for a major award. Whether the momentum will continue remains to be seen, but this is extremely fast compared to the glacial pace of most publishing endeavors, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

But, the day job isn't helping matters right now. After signing up for appointments, I got ready for work and made it into the office by eight, where I worked until five. I made a quick stop at the gym, came home, ate some delicious frozen enchiladas, and then answered work email from eight p.m. until now. Luckily, the email inbox went from 110 to 16, thanks in part to some overzealous archiving, and so I can spend tomorrow's brief periods between meetings focused on crossing off items on my increasingly-long to-do list. Still, I hope to write tomorrow morning, so I need to go to bed asap if I'm going to rouse myself in time to make it to a cafe before work. Goodnight!

No comments: