Wednesday, April 22, 2009

wait for something better

I had a generally excellent day, despite my ornery mood. I got allergy shots this morning, which was definitely the low point, since my shots swelled up and itched due to the fact that tree and grass season is in full bloom (ha). But, I also had a decent series of meetings, an entertaining lunch with Gyre in which I tried and failed to convert him to my worldview, and just enough time this morning to do some writing and stay caught up on emails. Whether I can get up early tomorrow remains to be seen, since it's already 11:23pm and my apartment is currently too hot to sleep in, but we shall see if my dreams of being a writer are enough to lure me out of bed tomorrow.

After work, I had dinner with Dave, my boss who is visiting from Ann Arbor for the week. It was v. nice, and we caught up and discussed life over pasta and wine in downtown Mountain View. Then, I left the tame Castro Street of the south bay for the much less tame Castro Street of San Francisco. Actually, I didn't go to the Castro, but I did go to Adit's, which is relatively close to the Castro even if it's technically the Duboce Triangle neighborhood. We had plans to go for ice cream, and we made the fifteen-minute walk to the ice cream place -- only to find that the line was half an hour long. So, we stood in line and chit-chatted as per usual, then got some delicious ice cream and walked home. At Adit's urging, I tried and purchased the salted caramel ice cream -- it was v. delicious. But, the heat in the city is out of control. I actually really like v. warm evenings, since it's an appealing part of summer in the Midwest, and one of the things I usually dislike about San Francisco is that it gets cold at night no matter how nice it was during the day. But the past two days have been an exception. Unfortunately, none of these building are equipped to handle ninety degree weather, so there's v. little airconditioning, which makes for a miserable time until the temperatures cool down.

That's all from me for now; I must write tomorrow, but whether I do it before or after work remains to be seen. The problem is that I also want to fit in some gym time, and doing work + writing + gym in the same day, particularly when my boss is in town and I have meetings from 9am to 6pm, is rather difficult. Wish me luck!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So out of curiousity does your boss, and other relatively just coworkers know of your aspirations to be a writer? If so, what do they think about it?

Sara said...

@Anonymous: everyone at work, including my boss, knows about my aspirations. It helps that I still have aspirations at work as well, and that I've worked there for so long that they still offer me opportunities and help me to build my career even though they know I have a whole secret life. But, I'm really really lucky -- there are probably few companies where I could share this so openly!