Thursday, May 21, 2009

and after he's been hooked i'll play the one that's on his heart

Today was pretty much the best day ever. It could have been bad; I had meetings straight from 7am-11am, which was not an auspicious start.

But, that all changed around 11:15 -- an agent called to offer representation for my book! And not just any agent -- she's currently #4 in terms of romance novels sold in the past twelve months according to Publishers Marketplace. Even better, I felt like we really clicked on the phone; we chatted for about fifteen minutes, and while we didn't agree to anything other than that we will talk again on Tuesday, this was a v. good start.

Obviously, I was super excited, to the point that I actually squealed when I told John (I was late for lunch with him because I was on the phone with the agent). I'm not a squealer, since I'm usually much too cynical, but it's hard to be cynical when your dreams are coming true. Granted, this is just an offer of representation, not a sale, but she was so excited about my work that I feel good about her belief in my chances.

Anyway, I had lunch with John; he's interning at my company this summer, and it was v. refreshing to hang out with someone who still sees all the wonderful things about the place, since most of my friends are jaded and bitter. We fortuitously ran into Katrina, who ate lunch with us; it was the first time I'd seen her in two weeks, which was much overdue. Then, I had an appointment with my allergist, who instructed me to stop taking my meds and go find a cat to play with -- this will either prove that my allergies are cured, or kill me.

After lunch, I went to Stanford to see Adit's PhD defense. It was really awesome to see him give the presentation that I watched him work on in cafes over the past few weeks; it's always nice to see what your friends have accomplished, and his explanations of his research around 3-d modeling of the interior of the heart were a very interesting contrast to our typical cafe conversations (which usually just involve glaring at each other and occasionally muttering something offensive). I also got to see Zach, Jav, and Peder (aka Timmy Timer); Zach is in town for a wedding, and so I hope to see more of him this weekend. I also saw Priyanka, who flew out for one day only for Adit's defense; since I'm moving in with Adit this summer, I'll see more of her the next time she's out here.

Following Stanford, I went to Palo Alto for a haircut; while I love my long hair, I wanted to get it cleaned up in preparation for family photos at Aunt Bridezilla's wedding. My tinsel is still going strong; even after a head massage, a cut, and a full blowout, there is tinsel in my hair. I tried to convince my stylist to learn how to do it, and she was definitely intrigued, so hopefully she sets up shop.

Now, I really need to go to bed; there was work I should have done tonight, but I'm just too tired, so I have to go to work early to accomplish it. But, I had a really nice realization tonight on the way home from work -- while today was awesome, the agent's call didn't send me into a fit of euphoria, and I think it's because I'm just genuinely happy with my life right now. And I intend to keep these positive thoughts going as long as possible -- but for now, it's time to sleep!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations upon the offer of representation! Things are really moving along nicely. Is this agent trying to get you signed up before a win at the writers conference?

See you soon at the Round Barn and on the Bay for the Fourth.

Alan said...

Great News Sara!

Anonymous said...

As a fan of Swamp and the City...it is thrilling to see you accomplish so much and be so driven to become an author and achieve your dreams! Keep on moving on up!! Congratulations! Again, thanks for sharing the journey with us anonymous webbies!

Anonymous said...

Yea!!! Go, Sara, go!!

-Jan

joannb said...

how exciting! congratulations sara!