Monday, May 25, 2009

and the best is no one knows who you are...just another girl alone at the bar

Today was both v. productive and v. fun. Perhaps it could have been more productive and/or more fun, but I liked the balance, and I also like that I'm not so wrecked that I won't be able to function tomorrow.

I spent the day taking care of stuff around the apartment -- mostly a lot of financial tracking, making sure my writing expenses were tracked, filed, and up-to-date, etc. I also took a nap and spent almost an hour and a half on the phone with my parents. I also took care of some agent-related stuff, scheduling calls and thinking about what I want to ask. This means that the only remaining major tasks on my weekend plate are answering my work email and packing for my Ann Arbor trip, which I should be able to take care of tomorrow.

After being productive, I spiffed myself up -- I put on a black dress that I bought yesterday, which is super cute but which I also realized I can't wear to work because, depending on the angle, it may or may not display a scandalous amount of cleavage. Then, I walked a few blocks to Amelie, a wine bar that also serves delicious food, where I met up with Adit, Katrina, Lily and Omar for a night of mild debauchery. Actually, there was no debauchery -- but since I skipped the party that they all went to afterwards, perhaps there was debauchery and I just missed it. My coq au vin was good, albeit kind of cold, but the dessert (a rosemary-flavored creme brulee) was delicious, and we also ordered a cheese platter that was quite yummy. But I was really there for the wine, and it delivered; we split a bottle of Champagne (actually, cava), a bottle of malbec, and a bottle of Spanish rioja, all of which were quite tasty. In order of preference, I loved the rioja, liked the cava, and lived with the malbec, but I could happily drink any of them again.

So the evening was nice; we had some great discussions, and I shared way too much with Katrina, which she hopefully appreciated. I just couldn't get on board with the idea of going out beyond that, since the house party was in a completely different part of the city and I would have then had to make my way home later (and likely much drunker, since I'm sure I would have drank some awful homemade cocktail and thrown myself straight over the edge into drunkenness). Instead, I'm going to bed so that I can get up, get some stuff done, and get on with my day.

Happy Memorial Day, everyone! My mother reported that all of our dead relatives were where they were supposed to be when she made the rounds to decorate graves last night, so that's good. Goodnight!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

U should go for the black maxi if "black and blue" are the wedding colors and family members should wear similiar coloring this one works the best!