Thursday, May 07, 2009

don't even look at the clock

I just got home, and I have to be back on the road in 7.5 hours so that I can make it back to the glorious south bay for a not-so-glorious seven a.m. meeting. But, today was lovely -- I didn't have very many meetings, spent a couple of hours getting shit done while sitting in the waiting room of the wellness center between my allergy shots and a check-up with my doctor, and generally felt somewhat productive. Then, I had coffee with Joy from 5-6, coffee with Terry from 6-7, and dinner with Terry and Lauren (aka Subz) from 7-9. So, I'm feeling v. caught up with some key people, and the non-working evening was v. nice and probably just what the doctor ordered.

I had a realization on the way home from dinner that in my current capacity, I'm almost (and I use this v. v. loosely) like a conductor on the Underground Railroad. I'm really not like that at all -- but I probably have a couple of meetings a week at least in which someone solicits my advice about their career, how to find their dream job, etc. Since it's well-known that I'm actively pursuing publication for my romance novel, which is as far away from my current straight-shot-to-upper-management path as you can get, and since I've also worked hard to develop a reputation for my discretion, I can somehow simultaneously keep doing well in my current job while helping to conduct others onto a path towards their own bliss. Or, perhaps I just like thinking of myself as an Underground Railroad conductor -- it has a lot more cachet than saying I'm a middle manager who is willing to listen sympathetically to anyone who sits on her couch and expounds on their problems.

Okay, that's enough for one night, it's time for bed!

No comments: