Wednesday, May 27, 2009

don't trust a ho, never trust a ho

I slept for almost eleven hours last night, which was just long enough to help me recover my energy in anticipation of another crazy day at work. I had meetings straight through from 10am to 6:15pm; I managed to grab lunch, but due to some poor decision making, it was ultimately unsatisfying (half a baked potato and a piece of deli-sliced turkey, strange combo). However, I did get to see a brief thunderstorm this afternoon -- one of the things I miss about the Midwest is the extreme weather, so it was lovely to watch the lightning and thunder while having coffee with someone in the safety of the office cafe.

After I left the office, I was lightheaded with hunger and adrenaline, so I decided to check out an Ann Arbor institution -- Zingerman's deli. I went all out, eating a barbecue beef brisket sandwich with small sides of baked beans and macaroni and cheese. The baked beans weren't my mother's baked beans, of course, but since they were a different style (smoky Southern-style bbq baked beans), they were delicious in a completely different way. The mac and cheese was only so-so, but the brisket was awesome. I'll definitely go back the next time I'm in Ann Arbor -- not only are the sandwiches great, but I could spend more time browsing their specialty food sections.

I came back to the hotel, did some email, and accidentally fell asleep in the chair while looking out the window over Ann Arbor. So, I think it's time for bed; I need to get up early tomorrow to wrap some stuff up before work, since I again have meetings straight through from 9am until I leave for the airport a little after 4pm. It's been a whirlwind trip, but it's been good too, and I'm v. excited for another week in the Midwest for Aunt Becky's somber, all-black-attire wedding :) Goodnight!

No comments: