Saturday, May 16, 2009

see i want to move, but can't escape from you

Today was a long day, and it was totally my fault. I worked effectively and fairly productively from 9am to 4pm; it wasn't nearly enough to get caught up for next week, and I'll likely need to work most of Sunday, but it was respectable. By the time I left, I knew that traffic on the way back to the city would be bad, so I decided to go shopping for a dress to wear to the Golden Heart ceremony in July.

I was wildly successful, to the dismay of my bank account. I found a dress at Nordstrom -- it's blue and tea-length (well, knee-length on a normal girl) with some beading on the straps and hem. I love it, but I'm not getting attached yet -- after trying it on again at home, I think I likely need to get the straps shortened, which could be difficult due to the beading. So, we shall see.

But, I was successful beyond the dress, even though I spent twenty minutes hating on my fellow women -- I stopped first at the new Nordstrom Rack in East Palo Alto, where the line for a fitting room was twenty minutes long, and I was unfortunately stuck next to three v. obnoxious teenage girls. And, the person running the dressing room was the queen of inefficiency, which drove me crazy; she would wait for five or six people to leave fitting rooms, then herd in five or six people and count their garments, but not give any of them rooms until she could "take everyone back together". Given that this was not a journey, since the hallway was about thirty or forty feet long, and given that I stood for three minutes about two feet away from the open door of an empty fitting room waiting for her approval to enter, I was v. annoyed. But, I walked away from there with two more casual dresses; theoretically I could wear either of them to Aunt Becky's wedding, but she's anti-pattern since she doesn't want distracting outfits in the family photos, so I still need to put together something for the big day.

I also got a cardigan and a pair of manager pants at the mall -- but my most ridiculous purchase was in the shoe department at Nordstrom. In a moment of sheer nostalgia, I bought a pair of Minnetonka moccasins. I don't even like moccasins, and was surprised when this trend came back -- but they had a pair almost identical to the pair my mom had leftover from the seventies when I was little. And, they are super comfortable, even if Tammy will disown me when she discovers that I now own the Native American cousin to Crocs.

Now, though, it's beyond my bedtime. Tomorrow I intend to write alllll daaaaay looooong, so getting some sleep in preparation for making serious progress on book two is paramount. Goodnight!

No comments: