Sunday, May 10, 2009

you need a girl with electrical hair

Today was fabulous. I woke up at 7:30, messed around the apartment for a bit, and then made some major progress cleaning out my closet. This culminated in my taking four bags of clothes and two bags of shoes to Goodwill; while I still have many boxes of books in my closet that I want to sort through, this was an excellent effort. After dropping the stuff off at Goodwill (in Palo Alto, part of the glorious south bay), I took my car to the carwash -- since I took the time this morning to thoroughly clean out my car in anticipation of the wash, I have a v. clean car for the first time in a long time. Not that my car is ever too messy, but its current state is better than the state it was in over the past few weeks. I also picked up some stuff at Target, so I'm all stocked up to become a hermit again.

The rest of the afternoon and evening was even better. With Terry's recommendation, I decided to indulge in something totally ridiculous -- I went to a salon where a woman named Daisy affixed strands of tinsel to my hair. It's subtle -- about ten strands of dark purple reflective tinsel, tied to individual hairs near the scalp, so you only see them when they catch the light. They apparently stay in until those hairs fall out, so we'll see how long I can keep them. Since I have never dyed my hair and have no intention of starting now, playing with purple tinsel satisfied the need I've had building within me to do something drastic to my hair, so the absurd length of my hair lives to see another day.

Following the sparkle increase, I went over to Terry's, and we watched a bit of "kill Bill vol. 1" while decided what to do for the evening. We settled on dinner at Naomi Sushi (yum), and then went to see "Star Trek". We both totally loved it -- I actually can't think of any movie that has made me cry within the first ten minutes, so the fact that this one elicited tears that early was something of a shock. So, I recommend it; it's a good way to kick off the summer movie-going season. Not that I have any friends who will see bad movies with me anymore, but I'll have to scrounge people up for some of the better-looking action movies and comedies of the summer.

Now, alas, it's time for bed; while today was a totally lovely break from my writing and my day job, tomorrow requires productivity in both arenas, so sleep is key. Goodnight!

1 comment:

joannb said...

dude. this is why we're friends. i totally cried in the first 10 minutes too! totally loved it. take a picture of the tinsel. i want to see!