Monday, June 08, 2009

earth below us drifting falling floating weightless

Today was another lazy day -- I didn't get out of bed until almost eleven, and then spent the early afternoon playing around on the internet and blocking out my schedule for the next few months. I did a couple of hours of bona fide work for my day job (ugh), and then looked at business cards for awhile without making any decisions. I followed all that effort up with dinner (my dad grilled some ribs, my mom made scalloped potatoes, and we had peaches in heavy syrup -- my first fruit/vegetable since Thursday!). Finally, I spent the evening trying to brainstorm new titles for my romance novel; my agent (still love being able to say that) suggested that I might want to come up with some alternate titles, but since "Love in the Time of Syphilis" is likely a no-go, I'm struggling to some up with something else.

Finally, I downloaded this software called RescueTime -- it tracks everything you do on your computer so that you can run reports on where you're spending your time and set goals for improving your productivity. I really need to get cracking on Madeleine and Ferguson's book, and the best/only way to do this is to devote the appropriate amount of time every week; while RescueTime won't force to devote that time, it will at least help me to feel more guilty about not doing it. Better yet, hopefully it will start to give me a firm understanding about how fast I can write, so that if I ever hit it big with a multi-book contract, I can know how quickly I can fulfill it and whether my deadlines will kill me.

That's all for now -- I must get up earlyish tomorrow and work on the book, so it's time for bed! But I think I'll watch Craig Ferguson's "Istanbul (Not Constantinople)" video from last night's post one more time before I sleep...

No comments: