Friday, June 12, 2009

romeo save me, i've been feeling so alone

Today was a brutal slog in honor of Aunt Bridezilla Day -- Aunt Becky's wedding is tomorrow afternoon, but as I've mentioned, my parents were conned into hosting the rehearsal dinner tonight. When this was discussed last year, there would be twelve people in attendance (reasonable, given that there are only four people in the wedding party), but there were twenty-eight guests tonight. I ended up running into town twice (once for ice and sugar, once for hamburger buns and more strawberries), picking up the flowers for the tables (and almost causing a disaster by taking the corners too tight, as usual, and knocking the flowers over in the backseat), slicing fourteen pounds of strawberries, a whole bunch of peppers, cucumbers, and tomatoes, and helping to cart stuff upstairs from the basement kitchen. I also made shrimp cocktail sauce and buttered two (ultimately superfluous) loaves of garlic bread.

So, needless to say, I'm exhausted. I also am reminded that I don't particularly like people, and so I needed to take a break and a nap around 5pm so that I could regain my equilibrium enough to keep going. But, once I recovered from my surliness and changed clothes, I was in a much better mood. And, dinner was fabulous -- I'm still on my no-vegetables kick, but I did have strawberries (granted, they were on top of shortcake, and covered in the traditional Wampler family half and half instead of whipped cream) and I've been mainlining Vitamin Water to keep my nutrients up. We had steak, baked potatoes, garlic bread, shortcake, and plenty of wine; while I likely won't know many of the people at the wedding tomorrow, I'm happy to hear that there will be enough alcohol to promote a major boozefest.

Okay, I'm totally exhausted and falling asleep while writing this. Goodnight!

No comments: