Tuesday, June 23, 2009

will you bite the hand that feeds

I'm still sick. In fact, I stayed home today. But, I didn't rest up like a good little patient; while I did stay in bed until almost nine, I worked virtually the entire rest of the day until now. I'm so behind at work that a sick day was almost like a golden opportunity to catch up, even if my head is pounding and I'm still congested. I had to call into two hours' worth of meetings, I handled a mini-fire-drill over IM, I spent some time with a map and a pencil creating a new seating chart for my team, I spent several hours working on stuff for the sales conference I'm planning in August, and I got my inbox down from 600 to 133. I'm still not caught up, but I'm in a much better place than I was, and I find that I'm in a better mood because of it even if I likely did no favors for my cold.

Spending a weekday left to my own devices, particularly when I was too sick to go out and procure nourishment, proved to me how spoiled I am when it comes to the perks I get at my current place of employment. I mean, clearly I don't starve to death on weekends -- but I missed baked potato day at my favorite work cafe, and I had a granola bar for breakfast, a frozen pizza for lunch, and veggie enchiladas for dinner. I was going to have cheese and fruit for dinner, but after talking to my dad while he grilled hamburgers and told me about all the other wonderful things he's been grilling lately, I decided I needed something just a bit more substantial (even if veggie fajitas are a far cry from rotisserie chicken). Talking to my parents was fairly depressing tonight, but it did help to put my own annoyances into perspective even if my father's apocalyptic vision of the future is something I dearly hope he's wrong about.

That's all for now -- I should really get to sleep so that I can continue the slog tomorrow and hopefully feel better at the same time. Goodnight!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Templeton Rye, the world's best elixir to cure what ails -- or at least make you forget about it.

Anonymous said...

hope you feel better soon...