Friday, July 03, 2009

torment and delight

Today was fabulous. Work was highly stressful, but I survived my three p.m. meeting regarding the big event that I'm planning at work, and I appear to be doing well (although at the end of the meeting the head of my department mentioned that she was going to watch her toddler's swimming lessons and I mistakenly told the "amusing" anecdote about the time that I fell off a kickboard and almost drowned during a swimming lesson -- it was clear she wasn't entertained).

But, after work was over, I had the great pleasure of reuniting with Tammy, who is visiting me this weekend. We've had a fabulous time so far -- her whole reason for coming up here (other than to see me, of course) was to see "La Traviata" at the San Francisco Opera. So when we got up here from the glorious south bay, I quickly dolled myself up (Tammy was already looking quite lovely), and we walked to the opera. It's only six or eight blocks from my current apartment -- and of course I've discovered a newfound love for the opera now that I'm moving out.

The opera venue is quite lovely, despite its insalubrious surroundings. Tammy and I had a glass of champagne before going in, which provided for some good people-watching. As it turns out, Tammy selected excellent seats -- we were in the second row on the left, and so we had excellent views of the performers. Also, unbeknownest to us, tonight was the last performance led by the current principal conductor; he has had the role for seventeen years, so there was quite a bit of clapping for him at various points in the evening.

The performance was absolutely stellar, and I am so pleased that "La Traviata" was the opera that made me lose my opera virginity. The main performances by the soprano, tenor, and baritone were all great. And, the music combined with the great casting and the tragic story line ensured that I cried throughout the second and third acts. It was embarrassing how much I cried, particularly when I started audibly sniffing -- but the music was so moving, and the singers so fabulous, that I couldn't help myself.

So, perhaps I will need to start going to more opera in the future. Tammy insisted that we ask someone to take our picture, but we did it *after* the opera, which means I look all puffy and ridiculous. Then, we went to Mel's Diner and had a late dinner, catching up on each others' lives and discussing the opera in-depth. Now, though, it's time for bed -- I haven't been up this late in awhile, and I desperately need sleep. Goodnight!

No comments: