Monday, August 10, 2009

can you take me higher?

All things considered, today was a great day. Given my activities last night (which involved an unfortunate mixing of various alcohol types, such as a mojito and shots of Jagermeister, followed by half a bottle of red wine), I really deserved to feel worse this morning than I did. I'm sure that my hangover was somewhat staved off by the donut and the pizza that Adit, Vidya and I sought out at three a.m., as well as the bottle of Vitamin Water and ibuprofen that I took when I woke up at six a.m. So, when I got out of bed at eleven, I felt almost normal -- and yet still felt the need to sit on the couch for a couple of hours and watch "Mamma Mia!" before dragging myself to the shower and then out to get some work done.

By the way, for those of you who were confused by my last post, what happened was that I went out with Adit to Tom, Julie, and Rat's housewarming party. We had sushi first at this great, tiny sushi place near our apartment -- apparently there's lots of great sushi in this neighborhood, which I'm totally excited about. Then, when we got to the party, things started of slow, partially because they were so far ahead of us that they were almost out of alcohol and would be impossible to catch up with anyway. But, we made a valiant effort, to the point that I eventually sat on the couch for awhile and blew the same conch shell that had irritated me when I was sober hours earlier. It turns out that a lip position (embouchure) similar to what is require to play the flute is effective for blowing a conch shell, so I was like a conch shell savant compared to some of the other attendees. Vidya met up with us there quite late, and we hung out for a bit longer before going in search of food and then bed. It was really fun, even though I can't have that kind of fun very often or I will turn into one of those alcoholic writers that everyone hears about.

Anyway, today I worked at a cafe for a couple of hours, then came home, dragged Ritu to Safeway, and got the couple of ingredients I was missing so that we could make dinner with Vidya. Vidya came over, and we made a salad (mostly for decorative purposes), cut up a watermelon, and made pasta with truffle butter. The pasta was excellent, and it's so easy to make that it's going to become my (decadent) standby for last-minute entertaining, as long as I keep the main ingredients on hand. Adit came home and finished everything off, I talked to my parents to assure them that I (and my liver) survived last night, and then Adit, Ritu and I had family time for the past few hours while we all worked and I did some laundry. Quite fortunately, we watched parts of "Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix" AND "The Day After Tomorrow", interrupted only by an unfortunate interlude in which Adit played my least favorite song. But now, family time is over -- I really need to go to bed so that I can go into work early and get some stuff done. I hope everyone had as lovely a weekend as I did!

No comments: