Saturday, August 15, 2009

the mammal team

I'm rather tired tonight, and I intend to work all weekend, but today was salvaged by my roommate situation. I made it to work by 8:15, slogged throughout the day, and generally was not in a good place when I left the office. Things are actually going well for the conference, and the head of my department (who I'm planning the conference for) offered to buy me a pony after this is all over -- but there is so much left to do before it all happens, and unfortunately most of it needs to happen this weekend. The good news is that I likely won't have as much hardcore thinking to do next week -- instead, it will be errands and last-minute fires, rather than slides and talking points and scripts and agendas. It's just hard to remember that I really do want to do everything *now*, when really I would much rather just have fun and/or go to bed.

So after work, I decided to go to Philz Coffee and read for a bit from my Kindle before making the trek back to the evil city. This was a good call -- I beat traffic, and I was in a much better/calmer/more grounded place after immersing myself in a book for awhile. I grabbed a sandwich at Quiznos after I finished the book, and recopied my to-do list with the twenty or so things that I added today -- while confronting my to-do list wasn't fun, at least I now feel like I know what I need to accomplish.

When I got home, I spent half an hour unpacking my printer and cleaning off my desk. Then, I worked from 9pm - 11:15pm, plowing through a couple hundred emails and adding more things to my to-do list. Adit was working as well, which means Ritu felt compelled to work, so we had v. productive family time. They were going to a party tonight, which I had no interest in since I'm so desperate for sleep. But, I did accompany them to Home, which is a restaurant around the corner from our apartment. We had a very late (11:30pm) dinner there, which was quite lovely despite the weirdness -- I stupidly ordered the corn chowder AND the cornbread (verdict: cornbread was better), we all split a bottle of wine despite my father's concern that Adit is leading me down a bad path to alcoholism, and then we occasionally noticed the show selling sex toys quietly playing above the bar. All in all, it was v. fun, but I held true to my resolve to not go out any later than now.

Sleep is very much needed now, so I'm going to sign off abruptly. Goodnight!

No comments: