Sunday, August 02, 2009

now it's turkish delight on a moonlit night

Today was an excellent, very lazy day in the heartland. I got another ten hours of sleep last night, came upstairs to check my email, and took a nap from 10-10:30am. I also took a nap from 3pm to 4:30pm, and I'm going to go to bed shortly after this, so hopefully I'll return to California somewhat refreshed and rejuvenated despite everything.

Aunt Becky and her scandalous husband (whom I delight in calling "Uncle Brian" because it seems to annoy him) came down from Des Moines, and Gram came out to join all of us for lunch. My mother made tenderloins and sweet corn, and we had angel food cake with strawberries and cool whip for dessert -- pretty much the perfect Iowa lunch, other than the fact that my brother hates pork and so was not thrilled about this development. We spent the rest of the afternoon hanging around and being lazy, although I did leave the house to get a tour of my mom's flower beds -- she's been planting and gardening like crazy, and so was disappointed when I failed to notice her flowerbeds upon arrival on Friday night (although, in my defense, I was sure that Michael had tetanus and needed to go to the hospital, so I was a bit distracted). They were very nice, though -- if I had more time here, I would take a couple of days to write on the back patio while looking out over her back garden and the fields and pond beyond. Then, we watched Big Brother and had supper (hamburgers, hot dogs, homemade macaroni and cheese, and wilted lettuce -- it's a salad, not just old lettuce).

Unfortunately, I leave for California tomorrow, and I'm in the home stretch of the conference that I'm planning. While I'm enjoying the conference planning itself, I'll be glad when it's over so that I can get back to my second book. But, there will be time to think of all that later -- right now, I'm going to bed!

No comments: