Wednesday, September 09, 2009

maybe then we'll last a million years or more

I made the most perfect open-faced sandwich tonight -- two slices of french bread, with roasted tomatoes and fresh mozzarella cheese, lightly toasted and sprinkled with fresh basil. I took the first bite and it was pure bliss. Adit must have sensed my happiness from the other room, because as I took the second bite, he started playing "All the Way Up to Heaven", the song that lingers on as a memory of my tortured youth. As I've mentioned before, I can listen to the song without shivering or screaming anymore, but the first three bars fill me with uncontrollable rage. The sandwich was still delish, though, and I got my revenge because I ate all the tomatoes so that Adit couldn't have one.

Beyond that, it was a pretty annoying but uneventful day. I wore these fab new shoes that I bought on Sunday, but got the heel stuck in the crack between the elevator and the main floor, leaving a small gouge in the otherwise-perfect finish. The cafe at work clearly got a special on crab meat, because they've been serving crab for breakfast and lunch for days -- I had a delicious crab benedict for breakfast, and while I skipped lunch at that cafe, I went down later and discovered that they were serving crab cakes and crab sandwiches.

Best of all, though, I unexpectedly received birthday presents from my parents! I couldn't resist and opened one of the three wrapped packages within the Amazon box, revealing that they had given me "Mrs. Beeton's Book of Household Management", which is the preeminent household management book of the mid-1800s. I skimmed some paragraphs and it looks wonderful, so I'm going to spend some lazy time reading it over the next few weeks. I successfully refrained from opening the other two -- I think I'll open one tomorrow and one Friday. I also got a card from Katie, but I'm saving it for Friday too.

Apparently Friday is now a "national day of service and remembrance". Someone at my job sent out an email encouraging us all to spend the day serving in honor of our fallen heroes. Instead, I'm quite selfishly going to spend the day reading, shopping, drinking tea, and then going out to get gloriously blitzed with my friends. Frankly, I'm on a "take back the birthday" crusade, and I refuse to let the terrorists win by letting them take over my birthday forever. So, as weird as it is, I'm going to spend 9/11 in pursuit of maximal fun. Now, though, I really must go to sleep -- I have a ton to accomplish tomorrow if I'm going to be able to enjoy Friday. Goodnight!

No comments: