Wednesday, September 16, 2009

on a hippie trail head full of zombie

I'm not quite sure what's wrong with me, but I just don't feel quite right; I feel vaguely nauseated, dizzy and lightheaded, and I have a stomachache. Just for fun I put my symptoms into WebMD; apparently I have labyrinthitis, pancreatitis, an inner ear infection, anemia, generalized anxiety disorder, or a heart attack. I'm going to guess that I'm actually just tired and chalk it up to that. I love WebMD's list of symptoms; for the head, it includes "headache (worst ever)", "craving to eat ice, paper or dirt", "inappropriate behavior", and "sense of impending doom". How helpful!

Anyway, despite that I had a decent day; I made it into the SF office by 7:30, where I stayed for an hour and a half for a meeting before driving down to Mountain View. I stepped out of the meeting to have a conversation with my agent, which was good; I'm going to spend the next few weeks reading, researching, and coming up with a clear plan of attack for my next book to share with her to make sure I'm on the right track. My 90 mins at the SF office cost me $17; the garage there charges $3 every 15 minutes, capping at $17 if you're there before 9am and at $25 if you're there after 9am. But, at $0.50/minute, the extra half hour of sleep was totally worth it.

When I got to Mountain View, I got lots of stuff done and prepped well for a meeting that I had with the big boss this afternoon. I also, quite fortuitously, got to meet Phil of Philz Coffee -- he was randomly set up in one of the microkitchens at work, making coffee for whoever happened to stop by. They really need to put a Philz in my building -- I would never have trouble staying awake again. When my meetings were finally over for the day, I went to Cafe Borrone in Menlo Park, where I had my favorite gouda and turkey sandwich while contemplating my book. I also supported a local bookseller by buying a couple of books and notebooks at Kepler's. I started reading one of them when I got home -- "Bird by Bird" by Anne Lamott, which is her take on creative writing. It's quite good, but I started to fall asleep (one of the symptoms of my illnesses above), and so I'm going to go to bed. Goodnight!

No comments: