Monday, September 21, 2009

those who find they're touched by madness, sit down next to me

Today was an excellent day, but I stayed up later than I intended to, and so I should really get to bed. I was insanely productive for a Sunday, particularly given how very unproductive I was a week ago. I ran errands, took some things back to the mall (including those ridiculous 4" green suede mules...although I unfortunately returned them to the same woman who sold them to me, and she successfully upsold me on a gorgeous pair of shiny red pumps), got another bulletin board for my room, came home, put my room into the order that I want it to be in, switched out the summer dresses in my closet for the winter clothes that have been stored in plastic tubs, did three loads of laundry, changed my sheets, and cleaned the kitchen. I also paid some bills, read some emails, and topped it all off with a quick and delicious dinner -- I made little pseudo-pizzas with English muffins, a sliced tomato, some pizza sauce, Italian herbs, and garlic salt, and a whole lot of fresh mozzarella. They were totally fantastic; my next experiment will involve cutting down the diameter of the ingredients slightly so that the cheese doesn't start melting off the edge and onto the drip pan before the cheese has gotten a chance to brown; they were delicious exactly as they were, but I would like them to get a little crisper before I have to remove them to avoid setting the place on fire.

I also talked to my parents; if I didn't know better, I would have thought that they were dreading having the conversation about my lack of a trust fund that I alluded to in my previous blog entry, but the truth was that they were just far too busy for me this weekend. I should have gone home this weekend; they were hosting a half-size replica of the Vietnam Wall at the Round Barn, and it was apparently tremendously moving (as well as a ton of work; over 4000 people showed up over the course of four days, which is approximately half the size of our county, so you can imagine that this was a big event). So, they were working like crazy all weekend, but given the number of vets they said they had (many of whom showed up alone, at night) and a whole lot of schoolkids from the various neighboring schools, it sounds like it was ultimately very well worth it.

Now, though, it's time to throw in the towel -- work unfortunately awaits. Goodnight!

No comments: