Thursday, October 29, 2009

the dreammaker's gonna make you mad

I am absolutely stuffed, which is surprising given that I was lured into eating at a vegetarian restaurant (the horror!). I just got back from dinner with Vidya (aka Vidius Chandicus) and Julie; it was lovely to see them both, and the loveliness of it almost convinced me that I need to make more plans to have 8:30pm dinners after returning to the city of sin from the glorious south bay. I will of course forget that when fatigue is pressing on me the next time someone suggests a similar plan, but tonight was well worth it. We went to a Japanese restaurant not far from my apartment (although I drove straight there from work -- more on that in a minute), where we split the agedashi tofu and some veggie gyoza before eating our entrees. In my case, the entree was a bowl of udon with a side of vegetable tempura; I love tempura, although I did skip the asparagus spears because I still haven't overcome my childhood loathing of them. We managed to finish up around 9:30, and then we walked over to Bi-Rite, where we ate gourmet ice cream; again on the childhood theme, I picked cookies and cream (my absolute favorite, although mint chocolate chip and Christmas-special peppermint ice cream are right up there), even though the artisanal place has lot sof other custom flavors that it is more renowned for.

Overall, Julie and Vidya were both doing well, and we had a lovely time catching up with each other. But, it made for a long end to a long day; I got up and took a few meetings on the phone from home this morning due to the bay bridge situation, and then drove to Palo Alto for a doctor's appointment. For whatever reason, I've been on a check-up kick -- I hit up the eye doctor, the dentist, and the gynecologist within three weeks of each other. None of them have figured out my headaches though (not that I expected the obgyn to, of course), so if they don't go away in the next week or two, a fourth visit to someone else may be in order.

I made it into the office by 12:30, and I slogged until 6:30, when I had one last meeting with someone in Hong Kong before throwing in the towel. There was a nice little break in the afternoon, however, since today there was a Halloween party for parents to bring their kids to work and play games, show of their costumes, play in the reptile petting zoo (weird), etc. The big boss brought in her kids; the girl is almost four and was dressed like Ariel, while the boy is a year and a half and was wearing the most adorable lion costume I have ever seen. So, it was fun to have kids around, even if it reminded me of my own wasted and misspent youth.

Now, though, I must go to bed immediately if I'm going to get up and be productive tomorrow -- goodnight!

No comments: