Monday, October 19, 2009

she'll do anything for the limelight

I have v. few thoughts about today. It just sort of *was* -- nothing particularly great, nothing particularly bad. I did make a delicious peanut butter and jelly sandwich (crunchy peanut butter, strawberry jelly, and a secret layer of butter), which I'm glad I cut into fourths, since Adit took a bite of one of the triangles and then refused to give it back. Adit and I also carpooled, which was good; traffic was bad both ways, since it rained here today, and this time the inch or two of rain was enough to flood the subway system. WTF, man? No wonder San Franciscans are so freaked about sea levels -- if an inch of rain can overwhelm the city, it seems unlikely that anyone here could stop making laws about composting long enough to think about sea walls or dikes or anything else.

It's strange how few meetings I have at work these days, and how it changes the entire tenor and feel of my day; I had precisely one hour of meetings today, and I have 45mins of meetings plus a lunch tomorrow. I need to keep working on being productive with those luxurious swathes of time, but right now I wouldn't trade them for anything (except, perhaps, more luxurious swathes of time outside of work in which to write). When I got home, though, I didn't feel compelled to do anything for the day job; instead, I spent several hours reading "The Making of a Story" by Alice LaPlante. I've read parts of it before, and I will continue to reread those parts, and think about her lessons, and consider how I can use her wisdom to make my work better. LaPlante is the writer who taught the creative writing class I loved last winter, and her book is excellent if you're thinking about taking up creative writing. Then again, reading books about writing is really an embarrassing act of navel-gazing procrastination, but I do enjoy doing it on the days when the idea of confronting the blinking cursor makes me want to stab myself in the face.

No more, though -- I need to get ready for bed. I intend to go south early tomorrow morning and find someplace to write before my dentist appointment, so wish me luck!

No comments: